Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2001, 04:42 PM

Default Background vocals & chorus

I would like to know how to obtain those wonderful background vocals as you can hear in the hip hop productions like Erikah Badu, Aguilera, Backstreet boys, Samatha Mumba and so on (maybe the number of voices or the pan positions or the microphones or the compression or eq or Aphex exciting, etc.)
Old 02-26-2001, 06:47 AM

Default Re: Background vocals & chorus

All of the above.
Lots of stacks.
Panned according to song. Sometimes hard L&R when you want them to surround the lead. Sometimes L-C-R when you want them to fill the mix.
EQ & Comp very important. Try a lot of 32k or a nice slope up at around 13k and up. Also you might have to add a DeEsser after this EQ boost.
I don't like to use a "Chorus" on BGVs. It just seems to muddy things up.
If you want a fat lead vox. Sometimes a doubler is a good place to start, but other times it sounds too much like a doubler. I never use a doubler on BGVs. The real thing is better. Have the vox stack several times each.
No rules w/EQ and Compression but I found success w/ smashing BGV enough to maintain consistent level without hearing the pumping.
Hope this gives you a start.
Old 02-26-2001, 09:07 AM

32k ?

Do you mean 12k, or are you using some crazy new EQ, that I don't know about ?

(Though, technically I'd say it's impossible, since 48k is max in PT, for now)
Old 02-26-2001, 11:13 AM

Agree...

I also use VocAlign Pro.
Old 02-26-2001, 01:46 PM

I'm using the AVALON 737 SP.
I don't believe it's a crazy new EQ. Infact I think it's pretty standard for a mic pre/comp/EQ. The 32k adds a shimmery airy quality to the signal. I enjoy it.
Old 02-26-2001, 01:52 PM

What I do is record a "whisper" track. I do a lot of multi layered backing vocals. I have about 45-60 tracks of vocals.

Here's what I do:

Record the main melody on 16 tracks. Bounce down to one. Record a harmony on 16 tracks, bounce down to one. Record another harmony on 16 tracks, bounce to one. Record a whisper track on 16 tracks and bounce to one. The vocals come out HUGE and lush when mixed just right. Try it out, I think you'll love it. As far as equipment, I use an Avalon 737 with a U87 Neumann Mic.

Johnny
www.mp3.com/johnnylima
Old 02-26-2001, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rams Boy:
I'm using the AVALON 737 SP.
I don't believe it's a crazy new EQ. Infact I think it's pretty standard for a mic pre/comp/EQ. The 32k adds a shimmery airy quality to the signal. I enjoy it.
Oh, I thought you were talking about a plugin.

I haven't checked out the Avalon, but how does it compare to NTI ?
Old 02-27-2001, 08:20 AM

A 32k tone will not be heard in PTs. It's impossible as the nyquist frequency for PT is 24k maximum. Anything above that is stopped by (essentally) a brickwall lowpass filter at 24k. Nice thought though!
Old 02-27-2001, 11:53 AM

Bluemt, Are you saying that the 32k boost I do on the Avalon will not be heard in ProTools? Or are you saying that 32k sine wave will not be heard? It is very evident to me that I cannot hear a 32k tone, however without question, I hear what a 32k boost does on my Avalon. If you have never tried an EQ like this, you will be surprised. If I am misundesrstanding what you are saying, I'm sorry. I do not know any laws of physics regarding sound. I've never been to school for engineering. I just know what I hear, and what sounds good to me. And the Avalon EQ is awesome to me. It definitley makes a huge difference in what I hear.
Old 02-27-2001, 11:56 AM

Pac Man,
I have heard the demo CD of the NTI and I love it but I have never done a direct comparison to the Avalon so I am no help. I live in OKC and we have no NTIs around here to check out. If you get the chance to compare the 2 I'd love to know what you think. Thanks