Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2001, 02:28 PM

Default Will a Rosetta clock an 888/24?

We had this discussion before, but stil, no straight answer.
The point is: what to go for, Standahl Nanosyncs, or Rosetta?
Old 02-22-2001, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Will a Rosetta clock an 888/24?

bump
Old 02-22-2001, 03:19 PM

Yes, will it make the other 6 converters in the digi interface it is attched to - sound better - by providing them the superior Apogee clock?

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 02-23-2001, 07:52 AM

I don't think the improvement would be as big as it would be with a dedicated clock like the Nanosync. The Rosetta has a wordclock out, but I don't think it outputs Superclock. Since the clock would have to be derived from the AES/EBU out of the Rosetta, it would be more prone to jitter than the 888 clocked with superclock feeding it's wordclock input.

The following is an excerpt from Bob Katz's informative article on jitter (www.digido.com):

"The AES/EBU (and S/PDIF) interface carries an embedded clock signal. The designers of the interface did not anticipate that it could cause a subtle amount of jitter due to the nature of the preamble in the AES/EBU signal. The result is a small amount of program-dependent jitter which often sounds like an intermodulation, a high-frequency edge added to the music. To minimize this effect in the listening, use a D/A converter with a high degree of internal jitter reduction. An external jitter reduction device that removes the subcode signal (containing time of day, start IDs, etc.) also helps.

The SDIF-2 (Sony Digital Interface-2) uses a separate cable for the clock signal, and thus is not susceptible to program-dependent jitter. However, the quality of the PLL used to detect an SDIF-2 wordclock is still important to low jitter. It is much easier to build a low-jitter PLL for a wordclock signal than for an AES/EBU signal."

------------------
Larry Bentley
Cellar Dweller Productions
www.cellardweller.com

[This message has been edited by Studio Dweller (edited February 23, 2001).]
Mac Pro 2019 16-core, 96GB RAM, OS 10.15.2
Old 02-23-2001, 08:00 AM

So -- what is the best clock source? I use a Rosetta on my 888/24, which I love. Would there be a noticeable improvement from different clock sources...?
Old 02-23-2001, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by knewbee:
So -- what is the best clock source? I use a Rosetta on my 888/24, which I love. Would there be a noticeable improvement from different clock sources...?
I doubt an external clock like the Aardsync or Nanosync would improve your A/D conversion much since you probably do most of your tracking with the Rosetta, but clocking your 888 with one would make a big improvement in your D/A. I just bought a Nanosync and hear a noticeable improvement in D/A with the 888 clocked with it. I have not done any tests yet to see how or if it improves the A/D of the 888.

------------------
Larry Bentley
Cellar Dweller Productions
www.cellardweller.com
Mac Pro 2019 16-core, 96GB RAM, OS 10.15.2
Old 02-23-2001, 10:40 AM

Where's a good place to get the Nanosync? I'm having a bit of trouble locating one.

NSS
Old 02-23-2001, 11:37 AM

NSS,
Email Ken at [email protected]
Good prices, very nice service!

Camilo
Old 02-23-2001, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Noiz2:
I have a side issue with the whole clocking discusion.
If I use superduper no jitter clock brandX to sync my whole studio every thing will sound great...now what happens when I send it out say to mix somewhere else? Does the benifit of my nonjittery studio transfer or do they also have to have my superduper... and when the mix is finished and goes to mastering -well they probably have a good clock but then it goes out to consumers and we know they have a superduper hooked up to there Radio Shack receiver...
I know we should all do what we can (I'm currentl clocking off a Black Burst scource and will move up to the nanosyncs as soon as I get convinced it will make a noticable diferance) but I am curious as to how far down stream the benifits of a great clock go.
SK
I belive that a good clock also has to do something when you go AD... or am I missing something???
Old 02-24-2001, 12:34 AM

I have a side issue with the whole clocking discusion.
If I use superduper no jitter clock brandX to sync my whole studio every thing will sound great...now what happens when I send it out say to mix somewhere else? Does the benifit of my nonjittery studio transfer or do they also have to have my superduper... and when the mix is finished and goes to mastering -well they probably have a good clock but then it goes out to consumers and we know they have a superduper hooked up to there Radio Shack receiver...
I know we should all do what we can (I'm currentl clocking off a Black Burst scource and will move up to the nanosyncs as soon as I get convinced it will make a noticable diferance) but I am curious as to how far down stream the benifits of a great clock go.
SK