Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2002, 01:07 PM

Default THX certified?

Hello all, I would like to buy a 001 and thought I would ask you guys as to what you use for monitors. This really doesn't have anything in specific to do with the 001 but more about the other stuff I want to connect to it. I have a THX certified NAD amplifier that's about 2 years old. I would like to find some Nearfield Monitors to compliment it but my friends are telling me I shouldn't use the amp because it could be tainted or sweetened. So my question is..... Is it appropriate to use my NAD THX certified amp for recording purposes?
Old 03-08-2002, 03:44 PM

Default Re: THX certified?

Hi RONH, I also have the Mackies HR824 and they are indeed THX pm3 certified, but what I wanted to ask you is what do you honestly think of them? not that I have any prob with them just wanted to know what others think.How does your mixes translate to other systems?weaknesses if any? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks, and sorry this does not relate to the post above Fatthippo.
Old 03-09-2002, 12:01 AM

I would use the amp. THX certification just means that the amp met certain criteria to get the THX stamp of approval. I have the Mackie HR824 studio monitors and they are THX certified also. OF course, if you went with these monitors you wouldnt need the amp because they are already powered.
Ron
Old 03-09-2002, 01:37 PM

THX certification, in lay terms, only means, "Sounds like the producer wanted it to sound." Anyone who uses a THX system will hear what YOU intended them to hear when you mixed your work....

I'm cheap and on a budget, I use Event monitors. Not the greatest at all, but good enough for what I need to get done.

Kevin