Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Delay Compensation Timing problems with RTAS plugs

HHHHHEEEEEELLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!

I just bought a Mac Pro 3GHz dual quad-core and am running OSX version 10.4.9 and PT TDM version 7.3.1cs3. I have noticed SEVERE timing issues when using RTAS instruments while using delay compensation. The track plays back early in input and record mode on instrument and audio tracks. I cannot work unless I take off delay compensation. The last time I did so, however, EVERYTHING started playing out of time, midi notes that were not even played started playing, when I hit stop, tracks were still playing a garbled mess. Sounds like a bug to me...please help me fix this SOOOOOON! I'm at the end of a record and TIME IS MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Justinjavascript:void(0)javascript:void(0)javascri pt:void(0)
Old 07-21-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Delay Compensation Timing problems with RTAS plugs

This takes some patience an attention unfortunately. I find some instruments do not report correctly .. or self compensate requireing defeating the compensation on that track alone.

Make sure you have delay compensation visible in the mix windown (checked under view->mix window->delay compensation) You can ctrl+apple+click on the top of the 3 numbers on instruments that are out of time to defeat the delay compensation on that track alone. That may fix it. However to be more accurate you need to print to a track, calculate the samples behind or ahead and enter the sample amount in the middle of the 3 numbers (this line is where you can enter negative and positive sample values)

The final complication is individual and global MIDI delays. I tend to leave this alone for virtual instruments but its settings may have a bearing. Global compensation is in prefs, and individual track MIDI delays are under options or MIDI menu dependant on the version of PT you are running if I remember correctly (dont have a PT in from of me at the moment)

Finally the compensation required changes according to the RTAS buffer you choose under hardware setup. So once you have it all calculated be careful when you change engines. This has burned me a couple times. Phase relationships will be different if you run the session with 512 one day, the 1024 the next. Crazy.Make sure the buffer is returned to the value used when the session was last opened to be consistent. Make sense?

All you need to make it right is there and can be solved quickly once you know where to look and the various parts of the deal that influence the process.

Ainslie
Old 07-22-2007, 03:50 AM

Default Re: Delay Compensation Timing problems with RTAS plugs

Hello,

a few basic things worth pointing out! with delay compensation on, you or any live players will be playing along in real time!! BUT the track will be playing time delayed!! the amount of delay is dependant on the track which has the biggest delay causing plugins inserted, and the size of the HW buffer in playback engine.

Now, RTAS plugins will cause more delay than TDM plugins especially if they are placed after TDM plugins, on a BUS or on the master fader.

Ideally you need to turn ADC off when playing live with a track! for singers even a miniscule amount of delay would cause them monitoring problems.

When turning off delay compensation, if you find your track is now running badly out of time, you need to try things like de-activation any big delay causing plugs, just for the time that you are playing along or have a singer recording etc. command+control+click on a plugin to deactivate it(or right click option has it as well)

in an ideal world!!! you would do all your playing/programming and recording "before" adding too many plugins to the session, again especially RTAS plugins! especially on busses and the master bus/fader and keep the delay compensation OFF untill you've finished playing and creating, then turn it on when you start to mix.

As Ainslie has mentioned already, changing the HW buffer effects the dealy caused by RTAS plugins. with a larger buffer size you can get more CPU performance, but you also get more delay caused from RTAS plugs! and also Changing the buffer in mid song can cause real problems!! as all RTAS plugs will change their reported delay.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.