Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2002, 02:49 PM

Default Does HHB stuff suck?

This is from another post, but I thought I'd give it it's own topic. Does anyone use the preamps, eq, compression: anything. Not really interested in the Fat Man 'cause it's such a different unit. Any thoughts? Let's have those learned opinions now!
Old 07-25-2002, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Does HHB stuff suck?

Depends which products you're referring to. IMHO, the HHB Radius line of products is very under-rated. In fact, HHB is actually TL AUDIO products.... which are VERY very good.
Old 07-25-2002, 06:50 PM

I have a TL audio dual valve pre-amp and compressor which I like just fine. Reliable and sounds good without a huge sonic signature.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:30 PM

I guess I'm thinking that for tube stuff, and seemingly well laid out, their products are just so inexpensive. I know that TL Audio is a great company and I didn't realize they made HHB. Just curious if they sound as good. Here's a scenario: Focurite Red 7 dual mic pre is about $1700 new, there's one on ebay right now for like $1200. If I only need two really great pres, let's say, and the Radius 10 tube mic pre (4 pres) is $600-650, do you spend the extra dollar?
Old 07-25-2002, 08:06 PM

I think it's a mistake to make a judgement about anything until you've heard it, unless there's an element of a product that can't be denied, such as unacceptable noise levels or frequency response. I love the TL gear, more than the Focusrite stuff but it's nothing to do with which one is "better"... Often you get what you pay for, but often products are great value for money. If there's any way of checking the products out, like at a local studio or in a shop, go that road and see if you like the sound.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:58 PM

HHB and TL Audio are some of the most highly underrated preamps and compressors there are. We own 2 TL Audio PA-2 dual channel dual valve preamps, 2 TL Audio C-1 dual channel dual valve mic preamp/compressors, and an HHB radius 10 4 channel dual valve mic preamp. These are the meat and potatos of our studio. The C-1's are top notch for overheads, kick drums, bass and vocals. The PA-2's are the standard here for toms, room mics, acoustic guitars and percussion, and the Radius 10 is an excellent all around preamp, detailed perfectly for vocals, reeds, brass, as well as electric guitars, bass, piano...There isn't anything these units don't sound great on.

Suck, just the opposite. They smoke units costing 2-3x as much. They are quiet, reliable, and built to last.

But don't just take my word for it, go to our web site LIsten Page and hear from yourself. Everything you hear on it is recorded through either the TL Audio ro HHB mic preamps.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:30 PM

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will totally check out your site.
Old 07-26-2002, 04:15 AM

I just got some TL Audio Ivory (in the US. Radus 10)stuff here in England for wicked cheap! The line is being discontinued. For £250 (instead of £450!!) each I got a 2021 dual Mono/stereo compressor, and a 5001 quad pre amps. I've yet to use the pre amps (waiting for my damn drummer to get his honkey as$ into gear - but that is another story!!) But I did some remix work with the 2021 and it is a really nice compressor. You can dial in as much valve sound as you want. Or it can work in a highly useable transperent way. For a while when I first started to use it, I had to keep A/Bing my work to make sure it was there!!

If you are interested here in England they have just released the Ivory 2 range. These have had a real face lift and tummy tuck! All of the new ivory's have extra features and all have a digital conversion board as well. You can check them out at www.tlaudio.co.uk I'm not sure if they are out in the US yet, but I think they will rock. If I had had the extra money I would have got them but the old series at almost 50% off I'm not complaining!

Damian
Old 07-26-2002, 07:51 AM

I will check that out. Thanks for the tip.