Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2011, 11:17 AM

Default Starting to get random clicks/pops

With only a guitar plugged into the input, and using the headphone out...I've gotten 2 seemingly random noises while playing today. Same noises that I hear during startup or when I change the clock setting. The level of the noise is unaffected by the output volume level. Have yet to lose audio completely like some of the reports on here, but it still bummed me out pretty hard.

I've got a Rev D, bought used, and bought the ERXP separately. Is this a sign of the clock issue? As a used buyer, what should I do if/when the problem gets worse? There is a local Digi Authorized repair center where a buddy and I went to pick up a 002 power harness, could they take care of me if this becomes a bigger problem?

EDIT: My 11r has been sitting on tuner mode, and made the noise.

EDIT #2: Getting rid of anxiety-related grammar problems :)
Old 04-27-2011, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Starting to get random clicks/pops

are you sure its not just running out of CPU power in your PT session, or maybe you need to raise your buffer.

Are you recording to your OS hard drive, a slow hard drive or USB hard drive?

I am of course assuming you had PT or another DAW open at the time.

Or are you talking about standalone?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-27-2011, 12:10 PM

Totally standalone. The only cables connected are the power, 1/4" for my guitar, and the headphone out.

Just got another crack a second ago while playing. Like I said, its a similar sound that the unit emits while first starting up, or when I go in change the sample rate.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:12 PM

Are you sure that the clicks and pops are not coming from the guitar itself?

Input jack? Bad/scratchy pots?

Do you have another guitar to use to test?

Just trying to eliminate possible sources.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:14 PM

Appreciate the input, but one of the cracks came through while the unit was in tuner mode with the output muted, and the guitar unplugged.

Edit: I've been keeping my 11r running idly on tuner mode for a few hours while monitoring it through my speakers. Haven't heard the noise since just after my last post, but still feeling a bit anxious about what I heard earlier. I'm gonna keep messing with it over the next few days and keep a close eye (ear?) on it.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Avid

Derker, with the clock failures that we've seen in some units, the problem only occured when the sample rate is changed or at boot up. So potentially what you're seeing is unrelated. In most cases I looked at the clock problems occured at 44.1kHz and not 48kHz, although sometimes vice versa. If you are actually seeing a clocking problem, I would expect that switching to a different sample rate would fix the problem, so that's something to try.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the reply, Chris. I have no issues at boot up and nothing seems to change when I switch sample rates. I'll try using a different 1/4" instrument cable for now, and keep a close eye on everything to make sure it's kosher. Thanks again for the response, my anxiety was through the roof. :)
Old 04-28-2011, 08:33 AM

This might be a real dumb, paranoid question but to put my mind at ease I'm gonna ask it anyway:

When you change the samplerate (in standalone mode or when connected to pro tools) is it normal for the sound to "pop" when you do? So I turn the knob from 44.1 to 48 hz and when it says 48 it gives off a "pop".

Probably going paranoid here ...
Awesome: Eleven Rack (with EXRP)+ M-Audio Bx8a's
Old 04-28-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Riff View Post
This might be a real dumb, paranoid question but to put my mind at ease I'm gonna ask it anyway:

When you change the samplerate (in standalone mode or when connected to pro tools) is it normal for the sound to "pop" when you do? So I turn the knob from 44.1 to 48 hz and when it says 48 it gives off a "pop".

Probably going paranoid here ...
I would say its 'normal' for the 11R. same thing happens to me and lately ive been changing sample rates alot. Would be nice if they could make it cut off all output while the sample rate changes.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-28-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
I would say its 'normal' for the 11R. same thing happens to me and lately ive been changing sample rates alot. Would be nice if they could make it cut off all output while the sample rate changes.
...and during boot up, and when USB is plugged in!

Turned my 11r on early today to monitor while I'm doing menial stuff, to see if I get any more stray sounds. So far so good, hoping it was some fluke user error BS.