Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2006, 03:13 PM

Default Line 6 Podxt live vs. single effect stomp boxes?

Hey guys,

I just won a set of 8 boss effects pedals on ebay, and I am really excited about it since I have always wanted to go analog! Up until now, I have always used digital and for about the last year or two I have had the Line 6 podxt live floorboard. I like the pod, but in my opinion I dont think it comes near the quality of a single effects pedal and was wondering why so many people use this for recording instead of analog effects. I have fender hot rod deville tube amp and once i get these pedals, I am sure that my guitar sounds will be unbelievable...at least I hope! I am curious as to what you guys do when recording guitars and want to hear some opinions on what you think is better?

Seth
Old 02-16-2006, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Line 6 Podxt live vs. single effect stomp boxes?

I like pedals too. However...
Boss pedals are assembly line junk.
They're the cheapest of the cheap in terms of workmanship and tonal quality.
And...because none of them (*to my knowledge) have true bypass, even when they're not on, they weaken your guitar to amp signal path.
When they ARE on they're still weakening your signal, then running it through bargain basement circuitry. The result is a decent amp sounding like absolute crap. Not a pretty picture.
That's why they cost around 60 bux a pedal, and why they're overpriced at that!
The same is true of most other bargain pedals like Danelectro, MXR, DOD, etc...

Ever wonder why a Fulltone 2 overdrive pedal costs $200.00, and a Boss Overdrive pedal is 50 bux? A/B the two. It'll become clear.

I tend to stick with Fulltone, ZVex, Barber, Keeley, Home Brew, Voodoo Lab, and the like.

As to the Pod XT Live: Personally, if I had to choose (and I thank God I don't have to), I'd take the Pod XT Live over 8 Boss pedals any day of the week.

As for recording guitars, I use a Pod XT Pro, my amp (Carr Rambler) miked, and NI Guitar rig.