Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2004, 11:27 AM

Default Is it posiblle to work pro tools by INTERNET?

Hi Folks!

My friend is in alabama and I am in Florida; He wants me to work on his computer via internet from my Home at Florida.

Is it posible to work protools over the internet? if not, What's the best way to do it?

Can I at least give him a nice quality DIGITAL SOUND through the internet or by Phone, and sed him video of what I'm doing?

Thanks in advance for the advice

May yor work be greater than your Reputation
Old 04-09-2004, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Is it posiblle to work pro tools by INTERNET?

not sure if this is what youre thinking about but there used to be a program called PCANYWHERE, i think it was written by norton, maybe thats what youre looking for?
it lets you actually "use" another computer that it is connected to
Old 04-09-2004, 11:41 AM

It looks like PCANYWHERE works only on windows.

Thanks.

more ideas, Please.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:07 PM

Won't ever happen.

We can't even get them to let us edit projects without having to drag the hardware with us. Hell they won't even put a master fader on a control surface that costs $1200 and you think they are going to let you or your friend share live sessions over the internet.

Keep dreaming.

www.myspace.com/monkeywrenchmusic
Old 04-09-2004, 03:08 PM

Check out Timbuktu or Apple's Remote Desktop. Both are pretty expensive, but they will allow you to control another computer anywhere in the world as long as they're online (and have the client software installed). The interface is slow and laggy, so you won't be zipping around like a demon, but potentially it would allow you to run his PT rig from your home in another state. I use it quite a bit to help out friends, family and clients around the country when they can't figure something out on their Mac's - it's much faster and better than me trying to explain how to do something over the phone, and keeps me from getting frustrated with less-computer-oriented people.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:32 PM

Thanks Slim Shady!

I wanted to ask you wich of the two programs (Timbuktu or Apple's Remote Desktop)is suitable for me

My friend and I have Mac G4, pro_tools LE (Digi001 And Mbox)

I read the "Apple's Remote Desktop" is good @ network; since this is the first time I'll be using
NETWORK over the internet (I'M NEWBIE, SORRY)

Does my friend and I need to buy the "Apple's Remote Desktop" software for each computer.

Thank you for your help.

"There is more happiness to give than to receive."

Eddy
Old 04-09-2004, 11:27 PM

I have only used Timbuktu, so I can't vouch personally for Remote Desktop but here's what I think I know about the two; Remote Desktop should have the advantage as it is an actualy Apple product, but generally Timbuktu gets the better reviews. I got Timbuktu 6 for free with OS 10.2 back when I worked for Apple (go figure), so that also tells me that it's a better product than Remote Desktop. No matter which one you go for, both computers will have to have it installed for it to work. I believe that the Remote Dektop Client is now built-in to os 10.3.3 (there was a recent software update for it), which would mean you'd only need to buy the server version to control another computer, but again I don't know for sure... you should be able to figure out what is needed by checking out the product pages for each software. You can also read user reviews for several versions of each product over at www.versiontracker.com.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:28 PM

Warning: I control my office server from home using Apple Remote Desktop. It is usable for my purposes, but two big concerns for you:
#1: It is like using a Mac underwater. Move a window, count to ten as it slowly redraws. Click a button, count to three, watch it highlight. This is no exaggeration, and both sides are on the same Hi-Speed ISP.
#2: Biggest concern - I don't think that sound will transmit. I just fired up iTunes on the server. It's playing on its end, but I'm not hearing on my end. Don't spend the money on ARD just to find out that you won't be able to hear what you're mixing!
Old 04-11-2004, 06:54 PM

Chicken Of the VNC for the controller side (Client)
and
OSXvnc on the controlee side (Server)

Works great....there are sometimes lag issues but for the most part....VNC is faster than ARD.
You can use ARD on a LAN but for WAN....it would be slow.

Both client and server VNC can be found on http://www.versiontracker.com search on VNC....both are free. I think sound is transmitted but I can't remember....I usually have my iPod crankin while RCing computers just to keep from going insane....it is tedious and like watching paint dry or grass grow.

Don't forget to set a non-trivial password on the server side.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:51 PM

Is this VNC for MAC?

Thanks