Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2021, 12:55 PM

Default Best video and audio I/O card for Pro Tools

Hi all, It's my first post on this forum :) I'm usually on the Avid Pro Video forum - for Avid Media Composer!

Anyway, I'm looking to setup Pro Tools on my system for Post Audio - So I need video output out of Pro Tools. That's important for me. I currently have a Blackmagic mini Decklink IO and I gather that pro tools doesn't support this card? On startup I can't get Pro Tools to send audio to the Decklink IO card. Could someone confirm this?

What's the cheapest (1080p card) that can output both video and audio from Pro Tools? I'm not looking for any Inputs.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-14-2021, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Best video and audio I/O card for Pro Tools

Also, could someone just confirm for me that my Blackmagic Declink Mini IO card won't work with Avid Pro Tools? I would love to get my current I/O hardware working if possible.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:28 PM

Nvidia video cards are actually the only ones Avid tested, so they’re the only ones “supported.” I was always a die-hard MATROX fan until the Win 20H2 update, which pretty much bricked the Matrox. Nvidia (Quadro M2000) works splendidly.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:29 PM

Are you sure you need a separate card for this Philip? Not questioning the importance of video, but as someone who's taken PT and video very seriously for over 20 years (we had the $15k Avid video hardware back in the mid-late 90s when that was the only way to use digital video, then Firewire/USB codecs like Blackmagic and ADVC, etc.) but these days the Mac's HDMI output has been entirely sufficient. We just have a TV operating as a 2nd (or 3rd) monitor and drag video over there, in full screen mode, and have forgotten that we don't use a card anymore. But then we aren't spitting out ProRes videos, so maybe this isn't an option for you.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Are you sure you need a separate card for this Philip? Not questioning the importance of video, but as someone who's taken PT and video very seriously for over 20 years (we had the $15k Avid video hardware back in the mid-late 90s when that was the only way to use digital video, then Firewire/USB codecs like Blackmagic and ADVC, etc.) but these days the Mac's HDMI output has been entirely sufficient. We just have a TV operating as a 2nd (or 3rd) monitor and drag video over there, in full screen mode, and have forgotten that we don't use a card anymore. But then we aren't spitting out ProRes videos, so maybe this isn't an option for you.
Hello!
No, not at all. I don't want a separate I/O device for video and audio, I want one I/O device for both.

I'm trying to get my current Blackmagic Decklink Mini Monitor I/O working with pro tools as a video and audio output device, but upon startup I get the error: Your Audio Device is Configured with an unsupported audio buffer size. Please select one of the following buffer sizes in the device control panel. 32, 64, 128, 156, 512, 1024 or 2048

Do you know how I might be able to fix this error? I can't find a way to change the buffersize of my current I/O device.

Otherwise, If the problem is that my current Blackmagic Decklink Mini Monitor I/O device isn't compatible with Pro Tools, I was asking for a suggestion for an affordable video and audio I/O device that would work with pro tools.

The reason why I want full screen video output out of my I/O device rather than my GPU is because I use Avid Media Composer, and the I/O device feeds into my reference monitor, that I want to use for some pro tools mixing too.

I look forward to your response :)
Old 10-15-2021, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
For context this is the error i am trying to fix

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 245672118_1204275456732250_7413187944915602877_n.jpg (13.7 KB, 0 views)