Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2008, 01:57 PM

Default TC CL1B Won't load to right Chip - no sound

Has anyone else seen a problem with the TC Electronic CL1B TDM plugin. It plays fine at 48K or 44K sample rate sessions, but on higher rate sessions, like 96K, there is no sound when the plug installed. Sound returns when the plugin is removed from the track.

To test, I created a new empty 96K session and started adding tracks and CL1B instances one at a time. I watched the system resource window and found the plugin gets loaded into the first available DSP slot and doesn't roll over to the Accel card until the core and process cards get loaded with CL1B first. The instance shows 0%.

I kept adding instances and it started to work ok when I got to the 3rd slot of the Accel card. If I recall correctly, the Accel has 2 chips (probably the first in order) that are the same as the DSP on the process cards, and 7 chips with more DSP power. I'm guessing only the bottom 7 slots in the resource window have DSP that is compatible with the CL1B DSP requirements.

I'm wondering if there's a bug between TCElectronic and PT on why the plugin doesn't know to only load into the last 7 slots of the Accel card when the sessions is running at higher sample rate, or maybe I have sw error. I tried reloading and upgrading all sw, but still has the problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Neil

G5 10.4.11 OS X
PTHD 7.4cs8
TCElectronic CL1B 1.1.0.28
Old 12-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Avid

Default Re: TC CL1B Won't load to right Chip - no sound

Have you contacted TC about this?

I'll see if we have someone with that plug-in here so we can test it.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:10 PM

I have sent a request to TC Electronics, but no answer yet.

It's easy to test. Run an empty session. Add tracks one by one. Add CL1B instances one by one. Watch the system resources window. Note that it goes to the lower level DSP first, Core, PRocess and then Accel (with 0% allocated, but the whole chip used - odd?), and eventually gets to the higher order DSP chips.

My cards are stacked AGP Video in slot 1, Core in 2, Accel in 3 and Process in 4.

Here's a view of what it looks like

http://members.cox.net/buickwilson/CL1B.jpg
Old 12-03-2008, 05:52 AM

Are you sure it's nothing to do with having process card? I have a HD3 non-accel and CL1B doesn't show up at 96KHz. Works fine 44.1/48.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:55 AM

I had a problem with the CL1B when I was demo-ing it - it would load on some sessions and give exactly the same problem you are seeing on others.

I contacted TC Tech Support but they never responded. There have been a few threads about this problem but it seems intermittent - ie not everyone seems to have the problem.

In the end they lost a sale - I loved the CL1B and would have bought it had it not been for this issue; didn't want to spend a lot of money for something a) that may or may not work and b) that didn't seem to be supported.

I own most of the TC plugs and really like them - if they ever come up with acknowledging the problem and fixing it I would reconsider purchasing it as it was very nice when it worked.

G5 3Ghz Octo
Mac OS 10.4.11
PT 7.4x (latest)
HD3Accel pcie
Old 12-03-2008, 11:38 AM

PT and plugins must have a setting that tells PT when a plugin requires a certain type of DSP. I think the plugin stores this in it's resource file (embedded in the plugin) and PT reads this when it loads the plugin at boot up and writes it to the DAE plugin prefs file.

It works fine when you load other plugins like Echo Boy and PT knows it can only go into the higher level Accel DSP. It doesn't try to load into the Process card, like what the CL1B is doing.

Either there's a bug that the CL1B (which I think is the case, since many people have trouble with high rate sessions), where the CL1B isn't posting what type of DSP it needs, so PT thinks it can load into any DSP slot, or PT isn't reading CL1B's configuration correctly (which I doubt, since it has no problem with other plugins).

Or maybe the CLI1B installer isn't decompiling and installing the write parameters with the plugin is installed. The installer reads the system, then stores a number of files in a temporary folder and then writes the plugin based on the system and then deletes the temporary files.

At this point, I would recommend not buying this plugin. It sounds good, but doesn't work if you have any open DSP on your core card, process card, and the first 2 DSP (first 3 if you have a PCIe Accel) on the Accel card, without a really messy work around of deactivating DSP one by one until you can load into the higher level DSP.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
PT and plugins must have a setting that tells PT when a plugin requires a certain type of DSP. I think the plugin stores this in it's resource file (embedded in the plugin) and PT reads this when it loads the plugin at boot up and writes it to the DAE plugin prefs file.

It works fine when you load other plugins like Echo Boy and PT knows it can only go into the higher level Accel DSP. It doesn't try to load into the Process card, like what the CL1B is doing.

Either there's a bug that the CL1B (which I think is the case, since many people have trouble with high rate sessions), where the CL1B isn't posting what type of DSP it needs, so PT thinks it can load into any DSP slot, or PT isn't reading CL1B's configuration correctly (which I doubt, since it has no problem with other plugins).

Or maybe the CLI1B installer isn't decompiling and installing the write parameters with the plugin is installed. The installer reads the system, then stores a number of files in a temporary folder and then writes the plugin based on the system and then deletes the temporary files.

At this point, I would recommend not buying this plugin. It sounds good, but doesn't work if you have any open DSP on your core card, process card, and the first 2 DSP (first 3 if you have a PCIe Accel) on the Accel card, without a really messy work around of deactivating DSP one by one until you can load into the higher level DSP.
Anyone know if there has been a fix? thanks, sb
Old 02-14-2009, 10:10 AM

I should have posted back after getting the fix.

TC posted an update shortly after I reported the bug. The latest version on their website fixed the problem of plugin not getting loaded to the right type of DSP chip. All works fine now.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I should have posted back after getting the fix.

TC posted an update shortly after I reported the bug. The latest version on their website fixed the problem of plugin not getting loaded to the right type of DSP chip. All works fine now.
Thanks. As I think I have downloaded the latest, and am still having the problem... would you mind telling me what version you installed? thanks, sb
Old 02-14-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyBass View Post
Thanks. As I think I have downloaded the latest, and am still having the problem... would you mind telling me what version you installed? thanks, sb
OK... I downloaded again and reinstalled and all is working, including loading to the correct accel chip! version 1.1.1.1 SB