Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2016, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 12.5 is Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
You can either put in a bit of work to try and fix the problem.
I have. When does Avid start to fix things?
Old 05-10-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengai View Post
Your suggestion is a bunch of work about nothing. Reaper has no problems with the upgrade and drivers; likewise; Studio One has no problems either. Why is that these products are able to weather the upgrade and Pro Tools not?

If you want to talk drivers, tell Avid to stop using Visual Studio 2005 to build their drivers and use a modern compiler that is designed to work in Windows7 and Windows 10.
I hope you already knew that Pro Tools is very sensitive to OS and hardware setup, much more so than other DAWs, and has been that way for years.

If you do not want to follow suggestions from other Pro Tools users here (many of who are as frustrated as you are with Avid and) trying to help you then you can always just give up on Pro Tools and use Studio One or Reaper? Logic Pro works great for me...

If you want to whine at Avid in person you can start a support call. They are not listening to you here. They likely won't pay attention to you in person either, but it gives you something to do while reinstalling Windows 10, or working on Studio One or Reaper.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I hope you already knew that Pro Tools is very sensitive to OS and hardware setup, much more so than other DAWs, and has been that way for years.
So this sensitivity an acceptable excuse for product failure? Sounds like defending junk to me.

Quote:
If you do not want to follow suggestions from other Pro Tools users here
I'm grateful for other users and there suggestions; but, not when the suggestion is to reinstall the OS. Why is it the user has to overcome Avid's inability to provide quality software?
Old 05-10-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidProToolsUser View Post
I feel sorry to tell you this...
But there is a lot left over when upgrading from 7 to 10.
And some of the worst are old configurations(ini, json, etc), ghost drivers, registry keys, fragmentation and many more.
And you don't think Avid should invest time in discovering this when certifying a new OS?
Old 05-10-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I do think AVID should update their system requirements to state a widely known industry practice even with MAC OS:
Must be fresh install of OS xyz
Avid has done this several (many?) times in the past for OS X.

e.g. see "We highly recommend you avoid updating an existing OS install to 10.8. Format a drive partition, and start with a fresh 10.8 installation if at all possible. Then, install Pro Tools (10.3 or later) and the latest available versions of your plug-ins".

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...to-Mac-OS-10-8

These kind of things should be common sense, and its fine as a warning. Avid should be doing it more. Do not follow the warning and it works, great. If you have problems be prepared to try a clean install....

----

As somebody who product managed complex Windows app and driver software in the past... the number of times that things like driver installs just will not work on pre-used systems is scary. Calling parts of the Windows driver/installer ecosystem broken would be being kind.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I'm grateful for other users and there suggestions; but, not when the suggestion is to reinstall the OS. Why is it the user has to overcome Avid's inability to provide quality software?
Nobody is making any excuses for Avid's poorly supported and frequently flakey software, they could be doing an awful lot better than they are but OTOH vendors do throw problems in their path (like the general mess of Windows driver ecosystem, or the whole OS X USB audio driver fiasco in El Capitan -- other vendors manage to work on those platform with a lot less pain, so yes clearly Avid is failing). But had you started a Windows 10 reinstall you would have been done with that by now, and a lot further along. DUC is generally a forum of users who happy to help others and lots of folks who have the ability to get things working, often working around Pro Tools stability issues.

But you seem to just what to sit on your ass and do nothing and whine, and have now basically ensured other users have no interest in helping you with anything. Congratulations.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
These kind of things should be common sense, and its fine as a warning. Avid should be doing it more. Do not follow the warning and it works, great. If you have problems be prepared to try a clean install....
This is a cop out. Just an excuse so Avid doesn't have to put error checking in their product.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
It is impossible...All of what I mentioned can be installed and manipulated by the user. It is impossible to know what a user has done with configs, directories, registry entries etc. Millions of people. Highly unpredictable.
It is hard work but not impossible. Reading configuration files and registry entries data should all be tested before the data is allow in to the system. If the data is malformed the a meaningful error message is issued.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
This is a cop out. Just an excuse so Avid doesn't have to put error checking in their product.
What exact "error checking" would you be referring to? If a developer know what to check they would likely add it.

You clearly have little clue what you are talking about. What software and Windows drivers have you been involved in developing? Actually shipped in volume and supported to a decent user base over time?
Old 05-10-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
To a certain extent I agree. But malformed drivers and registry entries may have unforeseeable side affects and can't be caught with error messaging.

15+ years of experience with C, C++, Python and other languages, winAPI and Linux Kernel programming.
I didn't say anything about malformed drivers. That is a job for the OS to manage and make right. But this doesn't mean Pro Tools can't run tests on the drivers to validate. Reading ascii files and registry data can easily be tested.

25+ years of C, C++, and windows development.