Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2016, 12:27 PM

Default What display are you using?

We are getting ready to upgrade our video display/monitor and was wondering if anyone has used the LG 34UM95‑P ‑ 34" ultra wide display? We currently have Apple Cinema 30's. Should we just add a 4k 27" display or ? Can you use the native resolution or is text too small?

Any suggestions for use with the Mac Pro cylinder. (Late 2013)

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:52 PM

Default Re: What display are you using?

I have that Mac, and a 31" 4K screen from LG, which looks absolutely gorgeous. At its native resolution ProTools is far to small, but I have the graphics scaled to display larger images and that works well. And when I want to show off I jump back to the finer resolution and it's insanely good. Easy on the eyes.

This is at my home studio. At work I have the same Cinema display you have and it bugs me by comparison. Those were nice in their day but now they're just grainy and my eyes bug me after a few hours. No fatigue with the LG.

Now... with that said, I'm in the midst of a graphics issue with PT12 which is creating lag in the metering and adjusting of pans and sends. It's not happening at work with the other monitors, though the systems are very similar, so it might be related to the monitor, or the OS (Yosemite). I haven't sussed out the issue but I can say that the LG worked fine -- no lag -- with ProTools for quite a long time. Only recently has it become jittery.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:57 PM

I have a Samsung UHD 4K TV 7000 series... 40"

For myopic people, at 2meters letters are too small.

Sony 49" UHD 4K Tv could be better, or a Samsung 50" 7000.

Large screens closer, at 1 meter or less need to be curved.

For movies alone 40" flat is awesome at 2meters... But for UHD text, icons, mouse pointer,etc... Not big enough.

For movies I didn't liked 55", and 55" FullHD at 3meters is very small for myopic people, HD was ok at 3meters, 1346x768.

55" at 3meters looks like 21" at 1meter.
40" at 2meters looks a bit bigger than iPad4 9.7" at 10"~12"

Last edited by JuanPC; 01-09-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:13 PM

I have the LG 34UM95‑P ‑ 34" and it's the best thing I've bought for my rig in a really long time. It's very sharp. I haven't used a 4k display but it's really crisp and bright. They make a curved version of it now which looks even cooler.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
We are getting ready to upgrade our video display/monitor and was wondering if anyone has used the LG 34UM95‑P ‑ 34" ultra wide display? We currently have Apple Cinema 30's. Should we just add a 4k 27" display or ? Can you use the native resolution or is text too small?
Yes, have been using that for some time now & also replaced an Apple 30" cinema display: A far more sophisticated product, excellent display, OSX aware: TB2, Display Port and USB 3.0 hub. The width is especially useful for DAW mix consoles etc.

Font display is excellent & no issues there, looks like the Apple 30" only wider (w/ Nvidia GTX 980 & Mac Pro 5,1). Unlike another comment – I found zero difference in the native font resolution (Yosemite earlier, then El Capitan even better). Out of the box: literally plug & play. Tip: use the free App Store 'Display Menu' https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/disp...49083868?mt=12 to make on-the-fly resolution management much easier.

FWIW, am using with a second 4k 28" Samsung U28E85KRS4k display for video work. Both displays run together very well and conveniently mount together on a dual VESA pole. As others mentioned, the refresh rate on both VDUs is excellent & far reduced eye strain. They also work brilliantly with El Cap, Metal and the rest if the hardware makes use. Excellent colour features for those also interested in calibrating for photography, video etc.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombot View Post
I have the LG 34UM95‑P ‑ 34" and it's the best thing I've bought for my rig in a really long time. It's very sharp. I haven't used a 4k display but it's really crisp and bright. They make a curved version of it now which looks even cooler.
Any advantage to a curved display as far as PT?

Eric- Do you think your 'lag' is from PT, the monitor or OSX?
Old 01-09-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
Any advantage to a curved display as far as PT?

Eric- Do you think your 'lag' is from PT, the monitor or OSX?
The curved display thing is a fad imo. Manufacturers must continue to develop something to keep our interest though.

I don't yet know exactly where the lag is coming from but because it worked fine at one point and went south only after a PT update I'm thinking it's something within ProTools. Games are super quick and other apps which are ridiculously graphics intensive are smooth. The monitor, from what I can tell, is tip-top.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:53 PM

cheap 27' Acer. Had a 24' couldn't stand it.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:27 PM

Dell UltraSharp 27 Ultra HD 5K Monitor.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:32 PM

23" Acer. Nothing special. Running at 1080 with my MBP 2011.

1080 is a little cramped to me. I'd love to upgrade at some point, but I'll probably need a computer upgrade first.