How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2016, 12:47 AM

Default Recommendation: Software Sampler

Hey,

Looking for some kinda software sampler to store all my MPC drums that I've accumulated over the years. Really the only thing that comes to my mind is Native Instruments Battery and Avid Structure (yeah I'm really behind). It would be nice to see the waveform of the sample and length (numbers) of how long it is. I'm on a Mac with Pro Tools. Something simple and does the job. Recommendations?
Old 09-15-2016, 01:43 AM

Default Re: Recommendation: Software Sampler

Kontakt is the best all purpose sampler. Stacker is great for drums specifically if you want a 1 sound per instance type of drum sampler.

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/
Old 09-15-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedhelp View Post
Hey,

Looking for some kinda software sampler to store all my MPC drums that I've accumulated over the years. Really the only thing that comes to my mind is Native Instruments Battery and Avid Structure (yeah I'm really behind). It would be nice to see the waveform of the sample and length (numbers) of how long it is. I'm on a Mac with Pro Tools. Something simple and does the job. Recommendations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Missile View Post
Kontakt is the best all purpose sampler. Stacker is great for drums specifically if you want a 1 sound per instance type of drum sampler.
Kontakt is a great sampler but not for drum work. Clunky at best for bringing in your own samples; for what the op wants to do Battery would be better. You could have up to 128 samples on call at one time. Probably the most flexible for the purposes at hand. Demo available at this page: https://www.native-instruments.com/e...y-4/downloads/

QAPLA!
Old 09-15-2016, 05:58 AM

Spark by Arturia is ok for drums, but I wouldn't use it for any other type of sampling.
Video Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M-1024 MB, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo
Midi I/O: Arturia, (The Laboratory 49), V-Collection 3 & 4, Beta Tester for V-5 & Analog Lab 2.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFlyingSquirrel View Post
Spark by Arturia is ok for drums, but I wouldn't use it for any other type of sampling.
But only for 16 samples at a time. If the OP is looking for more than that then Spark isn't it. Besides it hasn't had an update in a long time; I think Arturia has given up on it.

QAPLA!
Old 09-15-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Kontakt is a great sampler but not for drum work. Clunky at best for bringing in your own samples; for what the op wants to do Battery would be better. You could have up to 128 samples on call at one time. Probably the most flexible for the purposes at hand. Demo available at this page: https://www.native-instruments.com/e...y-4/downloads/
Awesome. Thank you. I see Battery 4 can be sold by itself instead of buying the whole Komplete for $199. That's all I need. Kind of a silly question, but would buying a used Battery 3 be worth it?
Old 09-15-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Awesome. Thank you. I see Battery 4 can be sold by itself instead of buying the whole Komplete for $199. That's all I need. Kind of a silly question, but would buying a used Battery 3 be worth it?
Not really. Go for the newer version. One question I have to ask - what PT version are you on? The reason I ask is NI dropped support for RTAS a couple of revisions ago in all their plugins. PT10 is the last version to support RTAS but it also supports aax32 format as well.

QAPLA!
Old 09-15-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Not really. Go for the newer version. One question I have to ask - what PT version are you on? The reason I ask is NI dropped support for RTAS a couple of revisions ago in all their plugins. PT10 is the last version to support RTAS but it also supports aax32 format as well.
Still on Pro Tools LE 8, but looking to upgrade to a newer version so I get on the Waves SSL bundle. So Battery 4 is the final answer? I still do all my sequencing and sampling with my MPC 3000 (so hard to let it go). It's just the small memory (32mb max) gets to me when I need to find that one or a few drum sounds. I've been using Workspace in Pro Tools but having a nice controller to audition and tap out the drum sounds while the loop of my MPC is going would be much better.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Still on Pro Tools LE 8, but looking to upgrade to a newer version so I get on the Waves SSL bundle. So Battery 4 is the final answer? I still do all my sequencing and sampling with my MPC 3000 (so hard to let it go). It's just the small memory (32mb max) gets to me when I need to find that one or a few drum sounds. I've been using Workspace in Pro Tools but having a nice controller to audition and tap out the drum sounds while the loop of my MPC is going would be much better.
Being you're still on PT8 you'll need RTAS support and the last full version to support that was Battery 3. Early Battery 4 versions supported RTAS but that changed and there's no way to tell what revision you'll get to download from NI. That's the hard question only you can answer.

As to the Waves SSL bundle it's killer at the price it's on sale for and if you're a member over at Audio Deluxe (it's free) you can get it for $198 US for the duration of the sale.

QAPLA!
Old 09-17-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Being you're still on PT8 you'll need RTAS support and the last full version to support that was Battery 3. Early Battery 4 versions supported RTAS but that changed and there's no way to tell what revision you'll get to download from NI. That's the hard question only you can answer.

As to the Waves SSL bundle it's killer at the price it's on sale for and if you're a member over at Audio Deluxe (it's free) you can get it for $198 US for the duration of the sale.
Forgot to ask but does Battery 4 show the numeric length of the waveform?

Last edited by confusedhelp; 09-17-2016 at 08:26 PM.