Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2002, 02:27 PM

Default TDM Systems

Hello everyone. This may not be a very smart question, but can anyone tell me what TDM stands for? A teacher of mine is making us find out, so if anyone knows it would be a big help if you could please tell me. Thank you.
Old 01-28-2002, 02:41 PM
Avid

Default Re: TDM Systems

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Sofi725:
Hello everyone. This may not be a very smart question, but can anyone tell me what TDM stands for.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Time Division Multiplexing or Top Down Management or Terribly Diverse Monkeys or Top Dog Machinations

Take your pick.
Old 01-28-2002, 02:41 PM

...and Chris got in there while I was writing this...I like the last one. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

+++++++++++

Time Division (or Domain) Multiplexing. It's also a common term in the telecommunications industry. It's basically handing out tasks in a "round-robin" fashion based on time-slices. Each task receives an equal amount of time (vs each task allocated time based on it's "needs" or utilization).

It's also been called "circuit-switching", vs "packet-switching".

In traditional telecommunications (vs newer packet-switched types), a single line, called a T1 or "trunk", from the phone company was brought into a business and up to 24 simultaneous calls could be made on that one line because each call was given 1/24th of the total time allocated to that circuit.

You never notice the time slices because they are so small (microseconds) and the switching was so fast.

I presume that Digidesign TDM works in a similar manner except that the trunk is replaced with a "buss", the TDM buss - AND there are more than 24 time slots.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-28-2002, 02:50 PM

Are you serious? Terribly Diverse Monkeys or Top Dog Machinations?... does it really stand for THAT? Does it stand for anything?
Old 01-28-2002, 02:52 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by lwilliam:
...and Chris got in there while I was writing this...I like the last one. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

+++++++++++

Time Division (or Domain) Multiplexing. It's also a common term in the telecommunications industry. It's basically handing out tasks in a "round-robin" fashion based on time-slices. Each task receives an equal amount of time (vs each task allocated time based on it's "needs" or utilization).

It's also been called "circuit-switching", vs "packet-switching".

In traditional telecommunications (vs newer packet-switched types), a single line, called a T1 or "trunk", from the phone company was brought into a business and up to 24 simultaneous calls could be made on that one line because each call was given 1/24th of the total time allocated to that circuit.

You never notice the time slices because they are so small (microseconds) and the switching was so fast.

I presume that Digidesign TDM works in a similar manner except that the trunk is replaced with a "buss", the TDM buss - AND there are more than 24 time slots.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you so much! I didn't think it had anything to do with animals...