Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2006, 06:33 AM

Default best Intel Mac for recording

hey everybody. i'm in the market for a new machine and i've been sifting through the support docs available so far as to which new intel macs perform the best for recording and i still have a few questions. well, actually i'm looking for some reviews from people using the new intels. there's a pretty decent forum on this site concerning intel macs but it got a little off track from it's intention so i wanted to start another one. can anybody comment or elaborate on their experience with the mini solo or dual, imac, or macbook (pro or not). also, has anyone compared these to the power pc g5's? i've read a few reviews but it still seems like a subject that we're all still learning about.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:44 AM

Default Re: best Intel Mac for recording

i will start to say that i have not compared any of the new macs.. but i own an intel imac, and i run 7.1.1 on it without any problems what so ever..

also, i would like to say that if you're just looking for the best performance, it is pretty obviuous that the imac is the best choice as it has a faster hardrive by default.. on the other hand, you should record to external drives, so in the end it might not matter much.. the macbook and the mini have integrated graphic cards which share its memory with the ram, so that is pretty much an disadvantage for those.. i think the macbook pro has the same graphics card as the imac (not really sure here)..

so, i guess you might want to compare the macbook pro with the imac.. and looking at the pricetags, the imac is a way better choice in my oppinion.

on the other hand, if a portable is a must have, imac is out of the question..

so i guess there are some different aspects to the question.. in short i would say, if your priority is only performance, go for imac. if you need a laptop, check into macbook and ask people who runs pt on them.. i'm not sure the extra money for the pro version is actually worth it..

another thing to think about is the pretty poor unibin plugin market at the moment.. this is another issue though..

kenny
Old 06-17-2006, 08:31 AM

Default Re: best Intel Mac for recording

I am running on a Dual 2.0 Macbookwith 2Gb of RAM and it is working great for me. If you choice is for a portable, then the Macbook is for sure worth the money. The integrated graphics doesn't really affect recording at all. If you also plan to do anything graphics intensive, then go for the MB Pro. Now if portability is not a factor, then for sure go for the iMac. They are sweet machines, and if I didn't want some portability then I would have sprung for the iMac.