Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2023, 09:29 AM

Default stupid question re: melodyne ARA

So the old melodyne seemed to always detect the source material properly, and apply the appropriate pitch correction algorithm (ie, melodic vs one of the polyphone ones).

However, the ARA version seems to be getting it wrong more. Specifically, detecting melodic material as polyphonic. When I highlight all the blobs and try to change the algo to melodic, though, all the options are grayed out. I can change the default algo easily, but I can't seem to change it once the material is detected.

What am I doing wrong?

www.merlotembargo.com

Last edited by tope d; 10-22-2023 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-22-2023, 10:08 AM
Avid

Default Re: stupid question re: melodyne ARA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgross View Post
So the old melodyne seemed to always detect the source material properly, and apply the appropriate pitch correction algorithm (ie, melodic vs one of the polyphone ones).

However, the ARA version seems to be getting it wrong more. Specifically, detecting melodic material as polyphonic. When I highlight all the blobs and try to change the algo to melodic, though, all the options are grayed out. I can change the default algo easily, but I can't seem to change it once the material is detected.

What am I doing wrong?
Hi there!

Can you give more info on the audio clip you’re trying to edit on melodyne? Is it a single audio track with full elements? Or an audio track with just a single element? Let’s just an instrument or just a vocal track?

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 10-22-2023, 01:50 PM

ARA is great in theory, but sometimes it doesn't quite feel ready and I find myself going back to using the plugin version for anything beyond a few simple edits, and only on a monophonic source(like a vocal or bass guitar) More than once I have had ARA pick an algorithm that is NOT what I have set as default, and it refuses to let me pick another and re-analyze. The plugin version continues to work great

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-23-2023, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tope d View Post
Hi there!

Can you give more info on the audio clip you’re trying to edit on melodyne? Is it a single audio track with full elements? Or an audio track with just a single element? Let’s just an instrument or just a vocal track?
Yeah, single mono mic'd monophonic instrument on a mono audio track. (a whistling part, in this specific case, but I've had this happen on other types of source material too.)

www.merlotembargo.com
Old 10-23-2023, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
ARA is great in theory, but sometimes it doesn't quite feel ready and I find myself going back to using the plugin version for anything beyond a few simple edits, and only on a monophonic source(like a vocal or bass guitar) More than once I have had ARA pick an algorithm that is NOT what I have set as default, and it refuses to let me pick another and re-analyze. The plugin version continues to work great
Yeah, I've been hesitant to go back to the old version....I just love the way that the ARA version is okay with form changes, cuts, seems to work ok with tempo changes, and is tied to the specific clips. Hard to give that up!

www.merlotembargo.com
Old 10-23-2023, 10:48 AM

Try selecting/highlighting it all and then try to change it.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 10-26-2023, 06:18 AM

Yea, did that already; didn't let me change it.

I changed the default algo, disabled melo, saved, quit PT, reopened, re-instantiated melo, and there it was using the melodic algo that it should have.

Weird workaround, but ok. Lol

www.merlotembargo.com
Old 10-26-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS View Post
Try selecting/highlighting it all and then try to change it.
I think this was your problem previously. By selecting and highlighting, make sure it is the blobs that you are selecting and highlighting before you go back to that menu to switch the algorhythm.

But I agree with you, Melodyne doesn't seem to detect is correctly often in ARA like it does the plugin version. I just have the default set to the monophonic mode and use that menu if I want something else.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 10-27-2023, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgross View Post
Yea, did that already; didn't let me change it.

I changed the default algo, disabled melo, saved, quit PT, reopened, re-instantiated melo, and there it was using the melodic algo that it should have.

Weird workaround, but ok. Lol
I have this happening from time to time as well ...ans selecting all doesn't cure it.
Old 10-27-2023, 05:44 AM

Just select one blob. Then you should have the option to change the algo. This will by definition do it for the whole file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1