Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2022, 03:17 PM

Default Re: PT 2022 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
It's doubtful. More importantly: will they do anything to improve this? That answer has been "no" for many years…
Anyone notice that Apple chose to highlight a power-user for Ableton Live?

I had to purchase a new Mac. NO WAY was I going to put $$ into an extremely hot and noisy Intel Mac. I also had to pay THE MOST EXPENSIVE Pro Tools tax ever in my life.

Three months later …
Old 03-13-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyJohn View Post
Anyone notice that Apple chose to highlight a power-user for Ableton Live?

I had to purchase a new Mac. NO WAY was I going to put $$ into an extremely hot and noisy Intel Mac. I also had to pay THE MOST EXPENSIVE Pro Tools tax ever in my life.

Three months later …

What were you expecting? Avid has always treated the little guys as second fiddle, from arbitrary limits in Pro Tools LE, to 'new' features that are really just hand-me-downs from HD and ultimate. There are just too many bigger players in the industry, with considerably bigger investments in Avid systems to drastically reform Pro Tools from the bottom up.

Realistically, I don't think that will change anytime soon. Pro Tools has seen some huge and very positive changes over the last few years, but it continues the trend of being top down.

I think you are probably reading too much into Apple using Ableton Live. They are just picking their market. For the 7,1 Mac Pro, a lot of their marketing was based around expanded HDX systems. Logic users have been waiting just as long as Pro Tools users for a useable version on Monterey. From the comments I have seen, Logic on Pro and Max machines is a bit of a catastrophe in itself.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-13-2022, 03:58 PM

Default PT 2022 release?

I am personally not sure I give a crap about Monterey, unless it somehow has a life altering feature I am unaware of. Big Sur does everything I want of the operating system and more. That being said, for reasons unknown to me, everyone seems to want M1 Native compatibility rather than mentally coping with the invisible Rosetta. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re-Recording Mixer/Sound Designer
Nova Scotia Canada

OS Ventura 13.0
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12
Mac Studio Max 32GB Ram

OS 10.8.5
Pro Tools HD Accel Version 10.3.8
Mid 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 32GB Ram

Last edited by JoeTools1963; 03-13-2022 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-13-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
I’ve contacted Waves about this issue with Clarity on M1 machines so I welcome you to contact them as well. So far they’re choosing to ignore the issue.

I will call them tomorrow. It is like a memory leak of sorts and it snowballs. I thought it was just a super hungry plug-in, but I am sure it is a hiccup with either the PT version, OS or both. It does say in the notes that it is only qualified for 2021.7

Nova Scotia Canada

OS Ventura 13.0
Mac Studio Max 32GB Ram

OS 10.8.5
Old 03-13-2022, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTools1963 View Post
I am personally not sure I give a crap about Monterey, unless it somehow has a life altering feature I am unaware of. Big Sur does everything I want of the operating system and more. That being said, for reasons unknown to me, everyone seems to want M1 Native compatibility rather than mentally cope with the invisible Rosetta. LOL

But where would I and my unfiltered sense of smugness be if it weren't for the people who defied conventional wisdom by purchasing a brand new Apple laptop running a brand new operating system on a brand new SoC chip, only to find out their untested system works like a... well... untested system?

It takes a degree of guts, I suppose. And it does ultimately do the rest of us a favour. A few lemmings need to go *splat* before you figure out how to save the rest of them.

It just seems, given history, that the outcome is so incredibly predictable...
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-13-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
But where would I and my unfiltered sense of smugness be if it weren't for the people who defied conventional wisdom by purchasing a brand new Apple laptop running a brand new operating system on a brand new SoC chip, only to find out their untested system works like a... well... untested system?

It takes a degree of guts, I suppose. And it does ultimately do the rest of us a favour. A few lemmings need to go *splat* before you figure out how to save the rest of them.

Your not wrong. LOL

Nova Scotia Canada

OS Ventura 13.0
Mac Studio Max 32GB Ram

OS 10.8.5
Old 03-13-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post

But there are those of us who had a choice: buy a new INTEL Mac, or a new Apple Silicon Mac. But as the owner of Soundblade suggested (this program is 32 bit, and will NEVER port to 64 bit): buy an old Mac that runs a 32 bit OS.

So that’s my choice. Or accept your summary judgement of smugness.

I don’t mean to cast aspersions or call into question anyone. But it’s been five months since the public release of the new M1 Pro and M1 Max laptops. I’m certain that Apple gave a heads up to developers well in advance. And to aid the transition, Apple developed Rosetta 2. Phenomenal. iLok is now on board, and I’ve been led to believe this was the logjam. Cos until Pro Tools is running right, ESPECIALLY it’s own plugins, I am forced to wait, or consider buying an old mini plus a monitor.

And for the record, I don’t feel smug at all. Just frustrated. But there’s always something ELSE I can get done, besides run sessions …
Old 03-13-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTools1963 View Post
I am personally not sure I give a crap about Monterey, unless it somehow has a life altering feature I am unaware of. Big Sur does everything I want of the operating system and more. That being said, for reasons unknown to me, everyone seems to want M1 Native compatibility rather than mentally coping with the invisible Rosetta. LOL

the problem is that all new Mac's come with Monterey and might not be able to be loaded with previous OS's. Someone chime in if you can load an older OS on the newest laptops......
Old 03-13-2022, 06:18 PM

Default PT 2022 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoshay View Post
the problem is that all new Mac's come with Monterey and might not be able to be loaded with previous OS's. Someone chime in if you can load an older OS on the newest laptops......

Not sure about the laptops, although I have avoided the new Studio release for this reason. I would have held out for the Studio, but kind of suspected that the Pro, Max and Ultra would have issues with Big Sur. The M1 Mini does everything I personally need for post production mixing and sound design. It will be easy for me to sell should a PT version be released that is both Native and Monterey friendly.

Nova Scotia Canada

OS Ventura 13.0
Mac Studio Max 32GB Ram

OS 10.8.5
Old 03-14-2022, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyJohn View Post
But there are those of us who had a choice: buy a new INTEL Mac, or a new Apple Silicon Mac. But as the owner of Soundblade suggested (this program is 32 bit, and will NEVER port to 64 bit): buy an old Mac that runs a 32 bit OS.

So that’s my choice. Or accept your summary judgement of smugness.

I don’t mean to cast aspersions or call into question anyone. But it’s been five months since the public release of the new M1 Pro and M1 Max laptops. I’m certain that Apple gave a heads up to developers well in advance. And to aid the transition, Apple developed Rosetta 2. Phenomenal. iLok is now on board, and I’ve been led to believe this was the logjam. Cos until Pro Tools is running right, ESPECIALLY it’s own plugins, I am forced to wait, or consider buying an old mini plus a monitor.

And for the record, I don’t feel smug at all. Just frustrated. But there’s always something ELSE I can get done, besides run sessions …

But what did you honestly expect was going to happen? When the original M1 machines hit the market in late 2020, PACE said iLok support was going to take a long time. Every software developer sent out an email basically saying "DON'T DO IT UNTIL WE TELL YOU". It took Avid 7 months to approve a Rosetta 2 version for Big Sur. 3 months later Monterey broke it. Avid joins a lot other companies, like UAD who also don't support Monterey across all of their products yet. Even Apple is having a heck of a time with Logic.

How often in the last 10 years has Avid even offered an update for OS support within 5 months of its release? I'm not defending Avid here. It just seems like your choice was, given everything that is known about Avid in the last 10 years, and everything users experienced with previous Apple systems during hardware transitions, always going to be a huge gamble and incredibly risky.