Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2016, 09:23 PM

Default Recording Consoles

So I am looking for a console and would like some opinions. First I would like to say, that I like the analog/console sound. I know how to properly employ mic placement, I have a treated room ( yes, properly), I have a better than average mic closet (always looking to expand it), I know how to mix, I know how to use proper gain staging, ect ect. Please don't reply if your going to say these things will get me a better sound than getting a console as I am past the beginner stage of recording and am looking to do it as part of my living. please don't reply if you're going to tell me I don't "need" a console. I am aware I do not need a console to record, but after having worked on and hearing both API and Neve consoles, I've decided I just like the sound better, regardless of how slight the difference, and I just don't feel plugins are the same, I have tried many in hopes of a cheaper way out.

So, I would like an API 1608, but at this time, it's too far from my reach financially, so I'd like to get an in between console until I do it for a few years and reach the point where it is possible to get one. I currently use the 500 series format with a lynx aurora and PT12. There are not a lot of choices in the under 20 grand market. Toft, allen and heath, and some used stuff seem to be about it. There is the box by API, but that's no good if your recording drums as it only has 4 inputs/preamps. There are several surface controllers available but I already have that. I have DAW control, I am looking for a sound.

Does anyone have an Allen and heath console? they run around 10k, but my 500 series preamps, eq's, and such will cost more than that once I have them all to cover all my available channels (16). So, would I be better off just continuing with the 500 series stuff? I mostly use Lindel stuff for affordability so what I have isn't exactly top of the line, but still unbeatable for the money (300 per module). If the Allen and heath is really transparent and adds no color whatsoever, it may not be what I want. I can do colorless in the box. I am not sure I like the meter bridges or lack there of on the toft stuff (not a fan of the led meter they have either). I would prefer VU meters for accurate gain staging. I'd be interested in hearing what you guys have in terms of consoles. I have 8 500 series preamps (use a mackie vlz 1604 to get the rest of my tom mics and secondary mics on the kit), 2 EQ's, and 2 compressors. before I go buying another 8 preamps, 14 EQ's, and a ton of outboard (which I will probably buy over time anyways) I am thinking console in terms of money. Thanks for your input.
I-7 Processor
16 GB or ram
2 Terabyte Glyph GPT 50
Fast Track Ultra 8R
Eleven Rack
Mackie universal control pro w/2 extenders, M-Audio trigger finger pro, Presonus monitor staion, Tannoy monitors, Lindell preamps/EQ's/Compressors, and a whole bunch of other stuff.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Recording Consoles

Allen & Heath GL 2800 Mixer w/ Power Supply $900
http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/5739317111.html

Save your money
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:15 PM

If you can't afford a "Real" analog console I would save the money until you could. An A&H will not have that "sound" analog consoles have today. You have never heard of an Allen & Heath Preamp or Compressor have yoo? Or heard anyone say
"ooh I love that A&H color" ... ? ? Probably not

For the budget you are talking about and to get something that remeniss of olden days I would jump onto the API The Box no questions asked, You will get that Neve sweet sound and you will most definitely get so e of your investment back ifand when you decide to go bigger or smaller.

We mix on our mint SSL4000G+ 95% of the time but some of the sessions require something different and thankfully our studio neighbor have a API The Box and it is AMAZEBALLS SUPER AWESOME Sounding. And all that PUNCH for less than $15K today NEW !!! ...

http://vintageking.com/api-the-box-console

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/api-box

Don't be fooled by the small stature and footprint. It's a powerhouse NEVE Console for less that $15.000 ... just had to say that again
Thats a no brainer if I ever seen one !!!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-01-2016, 05:36 AM

And here's another console the XXL Desk that's a bit more expensive but nice sound (it's an SSL) http://vintageking.com/ssl-xl-desk

QAPLA!
Old 10-01-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
If you can't afford a "Real" analog console I would save the money until you could. An A&H will not have that "sound" analog consoles have today. You have never heard of an Allen & Heath Preamp or Compressor have yoo? Or heard anyone say
"ooh I love that A&H color" ... ? ? Probably not

For the budget you are talking about and to get something that remeniss of olden days I would jump onto the API The Box no questions asked, You will get that Neve sweet sound and you will most definitely get so e of your investment back ifand when you decide to go bigger or smaller.

We mix on our mint SSL4000G+ 95% of the time but some of the sessions require something different and thankfully our studio neighbor have a API The Box and it is AMAZEBALLS SUPER AWESOME Sounding. And all that PUNCH for less than $15K today NEW !!! ...

http://vintageking.com/api-the-box-console

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/api-box

Don't be fooled by the small stature and footprint. It's a powerhouse NEVE Console for less that $15.000 ... just had to say that again
Thats a no brainer if I ever seen one !!!

The problem with the box is that you can only record 4 tracks at a time. I use 12 on drums. So its prob great as a summing mixer, but it just doesn't have enough channels. Honestly, I don't know what you would record with it unless your drums are being done elswhere yanno? I did look at it and was super stoked until I looked at it again and saw the 4 channel limit. I think the box was intended more for someone who mixes only at home.
I-7 Processor
16 GB or ram
2 Terabyte Glyph GPT 50
Fast Track Ultra 8R
Eleven Rack
Mackie universal control pro w/2 extenders, M-Audio trigger finger pro, Presonus monitor staion, Tannoy monitors, Lindell preamps/EQ's/Compressors, and a whole bunch of other stuff.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
And here's another console the XXL Desk that's a bit more expensive but nice sound (it's an SSL) http://vintageking.com/ssl-xl-desk

I saw this too...to me it seems more like a DAW controller with an open 500 series rack, which I already have. Currently I have 16 slots with 12 filled. Now if it had a PRE AMP on every channel, and then had the slots in addition, that would be a thing to look at because then I would fill the slots with EQ's and have a full blown console. it is a nice neat package though, but then again, if you filled it with preamps, you would still need extra 500 series racks on the side to put your EQ's in
I-7 Processor
16 GB or ram
2 Terabyte Glyph GPT 50
Fast Track Ultra 8R
Eleven Rack
Old 10-01-2016, 06:04 AM

You are 100 % correct about that. Didn't know what you needed but whatever you do, don't go buying a A&H for any "analog" feeling as they really don't deliver any.

The XXL Desk is a hot little number at 20K as Musicman suggested if you want to record more channles but it still doesn't come close to our SSL4000 in Analog sound. Maybe do save up instead and get a used SSL 60series or 40series when you can afford one. The XXL series are more DAW controllers than Analog Comsole. Like a big 500 series lunch box with faders and some other nice features but definitely not a analog console

If you just need a mixer then a Allen and Heath have many affordable units but if you want a "console" as you mentioned then you would probably get a bigger budget or fill up the XXL desk with 500's in different flavors, you already have 8 of the 500's so maybe thats one way to go.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-01-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Allen & Heath GL 2800 Mixer w/ Power Supply $900
http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/5739317111.html

Save your money

I am not looking for a mixer only. I have mixers. In Fact, I have an old mackie vlz 1604 pro 16 channel. I use the preamps in that to make up for channels I do not have preamps on yet when I record drums as I only have 8 stand alone preamps so far. Thank you though.
I-7 Processor
16 GB or ram
2 Terabyte Glyph GPT 50
Fast Track Ultra 8R
Eleven Rack
Old 10-01-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
You are 100 % correct about that. Didn't know what you needed but whatever you do, don't go buying a A&H for any "analog" feeling as they really don't deliver any.

The XXL Desk is a hot little number at 20K as Musicman suggested if you want to record more channles but it still doesn't come close to our SSL4000 in Analog sound. Maybe do save up instead and get a used SSL 60series or 40series when you can afford one. The XXL series are more DAW controllers than Analog Comsole. Like a big 500 series lunch box with faders and some other nice features but definitely not a analog console

If you just need a mixer then a Allen and Heath have many affordable units but if you want a "console" as you mentioned then you would probably get a bigger budget or fill up the XXL desk with 500's in different flavors, you already have 8 of the 500's so maybe that's one way to go.
My current thinking is since I have already started the 500 series thing, I can keep going and in a sense build my own console piece by piece. I was just wondering if there were options before I continued doing that. You know how clients are too....they don't see that console, you're not "pro" so its harder to sell jobs when they see a bunch of 500 series racks, not knowing they essentially do the same thing. I got to work on a super nice sounding neve, but that think is like 150k used, and I got to play with a killer API console, might have been a legacy...both sounded so amazing compared to my stuff at home using the same exact mics and instruments. Different rooms to be fair because that makes a big difference, but the acoustics didn't feel all that different. I do have a disadvantage of a super low ceiling, but I find mic placement can fix that depending on the drum sound I want. I am building more traps currently and acoustically measuring the room to improve it. My floor is a concrete slab with carpet....I have been debating laying down a hardwood floor or a pergo or something, but many seem to feel it wouldn't do much if anything at all.
I-7 Processor
16 GB or ram
2 Terabyte Glyph GPT 50
Fast Track Ultra 8R
Eleven Rack
Old 10-01-2016, 06:35 AM

I have some pics of my gear:
I-7 Processor
16 GB or ram
2 Terabyte Glyph GPT 50
Fast Track Ultra 8R
Eleven Rack