Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2000, 05:41 AM

Default Westlake monitor opinions

Just got a used pair of BBSM10's..while the mid detail is great, the top end sounds way
too weak to the point that to me, vocals in particular sound unnatural. The room is treated, etc..I know the "westlake sound" isn't toppy compared to something like Dynaudio, but they were tested and I can't believe they are up to spec...
Old 06-26-2000, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Westlake monitor opinions

In all the times I used bbsm's they sounded pretty damn good. What did you use before? Are you used to speakers that shred top end and distort to the point that more energy is perceived in the highs? (eg. ns10) Maybe a little eq in the monitor path could make you feel more comfortable, pulling the highs back down slowly over time until you're used to hearing them flat. Or leave the eq in and don't worry about it as long as your mixes translate well in the real world.

(I say this assuming you have already shot the room with a reputable acoustician, and that they really are flat.)

------------------
Angelo Quaglia
AQ Productions

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia
Old 06-27-2000, 08:01 AM

What are you using to drive these? That can make alot of difference...
Old 06-27-2000, 01:53 PM

I'm using a Bryston, which I thought should have been up to the task. I've mainly been using Dynaudio monitors (M1 - M2) up until now ( We have NS10's as well, but I am convinced they are evil in white coned form ) which I've always found Ok, if not perhaps a bit toppy. My favourite reference that I always use for objectivity is strangely a pair of Grado Labs headphones !

Old 06-27-2000, 08:33 PM

You are using 2 Brystons, yes? not exactly bi-amped, but a seperate amp for the low freq input, and a seperate one for the high freq input, both fed from your source....

(So four channels of amplification)

If you are using 1 amp, I'm not exactly sure if that is really OK to do with these...