Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-1999, 08:48 PM

Default Firewire ???\'s

Can anyone enlighten me on using firewire drives with PT?
Q1. Does digi support it?
Q2. If yes, what are your impressions?
Q3. If no, can you use it anyway?

Any other comments are welcome! Thanks, PS
Old 10-18-1999, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Firewire ???\'s

I have been wondering the same thing for a while now.

Here is what I know.

Right now the fire wire drives have a fast enough seek time to work with protools, but the data transfer rate is not fast enough due to sluggish drivers and cards.

However I think the new g4's come stock with updated cards and drivers that should make it fast enough. These same updated cards and drivers (from apple) should be available for purchase for other machines right now, or real soon anyway.

Please let me know if you find out anything for sure!
Old 10-18-1999, 11:27 AM
Avid

Default Re: Firewire ???\'s

From an earlier post by digi engineering:

posted 08-05-99 11:53 AM

We haven't yet qualified firewire drives. Initially all the firewire drives had low spindle speeds and we tried those with little success. We are now looking into the higher spindle speed drives. An important thing to note is that, to my knowledge, all firewire drives are actually IDE drives with a firewire adapter board. Since most IDE drives tend not to have very large caches it is likely that they won't perform as well as SCSI drives.
-MR