Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 10:27 PM

Default M-Audio Lightbridge and M-Powered - Max Number of Outputs?

I have just installed M-Powered 7.3.1 along with an M-Audio Lightbridge unit. I go to the I/O section and it allows me to setup 32 paths (16 stereo) because the Lightbridge has 4 ADATs out, but in the Output matrix Channels 1-18 are colored grey and 19-34 (SPDIF included) are colored white. Further, 1-18 have audio coming out through them if I set up a 16 stereo channel session with audio on each track but once we hit 19-34, there is no audio output. I have assigned the channels correctly and it just seems that there is an upper limit of 18 outputs. Does this seem correct? Previous to this I had an 002 installed on the same computer running PT ver 6.9 which would have a max outputs of 18 (8 analog, 8 ADAT, and 2 Spdif). Please tell me that DIGI hasn't crippled this version at 18 channels out to get you to move on to TDM / HD if you need something more robust. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Re: M-Audio Lightbridge and M-Powered - Max Number of Outputs?

Never mind. Just answered my own question with a little research. From M-audio's own web site:

* Pro Tools M-Powered currently supports a maximum of 18 simultaneous inputs and outputs

Disappointing to say the least.......there always seems to be a catch.....kind of a "too good to be true" addendum to each lower level product that DIGI turns out.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:34 AM

what i find most amusing about this stuff, is the fact that SOMEBODY is actually sitting there THINKING about these limitations, and PLANNING them into the product lines - knowing all along that someone like yourself will come along and question their decision!

just use the force luke.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:52 AM

I feel like the only force left to use is my wallet.... open it up and go for HD. Or continue to sub groups and mix in the box rather than external..... that will be the choice...for now.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:00 PM

Isn't there an expansion to add more I/O? Maybe it was just total tracks but I thought you could "buy a few more".

JAB
MSI home build
11th Gen Intel i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz
32g RAM, 6Tb SSD
AVID Dock w/Android 10" Tablet
IK Multimedia AXE I/O
Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 USB Audio Interface

Bakerplace.net A place for Audio/Video Post Production.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:37 PM

i believe that the limitation is placed on the number of SIMULTANEOUS INPUTS.

it has nothing to do with the number of outputs or track count.

meaning that the most you can "record" at one time is 18 mono inputs / 9 stereo inputs.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
what i find most amusing about this stuff, is the fact that SOMEBODY is actually sitting there THINKING about these limitations, and PLANNING them into the product lines - knowing all along that someone like yourself will come along and question their decision!
What a valid point!!!

Who is the deviant who sits there regulating the software???

It Looks like the light bridge was built for opposing DAWs!!!

Can any version of Protools use this I/O and all the I/O's

I'm sure Steinberg and MOTU along with Sony DAWs can use this to it's fullest potential!!!

So why would Avid the parent company introduce this I/O only to be bottlenecked by another one of their companies???

This all seems screwy
Old 11-05-2007, 07:42 AM

digi has a strong base of HD users, and in that world, they have the 192 i/o which does essentially what the Lightbridge does (yet with better D/A converters - and i suppose on par with black lion mods).

so it is my belief that the Lightbridge would affect the sales of 192 i/o if it were allowed to go beyond it's limitations.

and this is probably why they have limits on m-powered / le / lightbridge setups.

if you want more i/o then you have to buy into the HD to get everything you want / need.

i have no use to record more than 18 inputs simultaneously.

in fact, most of what i do requires only 2 inputs at a time.

essentially, digi is trying reduce the ability for it to compete against itself.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Re: M-Audio Lightbridge and M-Powered - Max Number of Output

Get as MAC. see this thread: http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...=&fpart=1&vc=1

apparently, digi made a mistake (perhaps it was intentional???) and for Mac users (and only Mac users) running 7.3 (up to a certain service pack) can get 32 simultaneous inputs. Just points out how arbitrary it is to have the 18 i/o limit. it is probably just some switch set in the code somewhere.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
digi has a strong base of HD users, and in that world, they have the 192 i/o which does essentially what the Lightbridge does
I can't see Digi's FlagShip Version of Protools being threatened by a 32 I/O M-Power version????

If so Digi Must not have much Confidence in their HD Multi PCI Card System!!!

I would guess with the power of the new Mac Pro's and Quad PC's the Life of the expensive PCI Based HD systems is limited!!!

I guess Reason enough to Tame the all Powerful Native end of DAW's

Digi should open the flood Gates on the native systems already