Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2023, 05:52 AM

Default Headphone Configuration (1/4 headphone out VS DB25 out)

I have a Carbon that I'm about to set up and configure for my home studio. I'm trying to figure out the best analog approach to running headphone lines from the control room, to the tracking room (about 15 feet).

I was going tot use the 1/4 headphone outs on the front of the Carbon (a bit challenging to run in back behind the rack mount) but my friend told me I would lose signal quality on that long of a headphone run. He suggested using a snake DB25 out > XLR) and then use the Behringer Power Play XLR block for individual control/volume.

Here' my questions:

1). If I use the DB25 out (8 channels) can and I also run the Monitor L/R outputs at the same time, or is it one or the other. The DB25 out says "LINE OUT 1-8 (ALT)" is why I ask.

2). If I used the headphone outs, how long can that line be before losing quality? I'd need to go 25 feet. Then figure out what to use to have people connect to the other end (perhaps a 1/4 snake?).

Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-04-2023, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Headphone Configuration (1/4 headphone out VS DB25 out)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp23 View Post
I have a Carbon that I'm about to set up and configure for my home studio. I'm trying to figure out the best analog approach to running headphone lines from the control room, to the tracking room (about 15 feet).

I was going tot use the 1/4 headphone outs on the front of the Carbon (a bit challenging to run in back behind the rack mount) but my friend told me I would lose signal quality on that long of a headphone run. He suggested using a snake DB25 out > XLR) and then use the Behringer Power Play XLR block for individual control/volume.

Here' my questions:

1). If I use the DB25 out (8 channels) can and I also run the Monitor L/R outputs at the same time, or is it one or the other. The DB25 out says "LINE OUT 1-8 (ALT)" is why I ask.

2). If I used the headphone outs, how long can that line be before losing quality? I'd need to go 25 feet. Then figure out what to use to have people connect to the other end (perhaps a 1/4 snake?).

Thanks for the advice!
1. The Main Monitor outs (pair of TRS outputs) are separate from the DB25 1-8 outputs. (You therefore have 10 channels of analog outputs plus 4x2 from the headphones for a total of 18 analog output channels).

2. You lose "quality" in every inch of cable. Whether you can hear it or not depends on you and the headphone amps and the cables and the headphones themselves - especially what impedance they are. I recommend you try one 25 foot of extension cable and see whether you get a good enough and loud enough output with your particular setup. The Carbon headphone outputs are good but not really strong. I regularly run 10-15 feet with the Carbon, and I know I'd be happy with 25 feet using my RME ADI2 Pro, but that has super-powerful amps.

Dominic
Old 09-04-2023, 08:53 AM

My 2 cents:
1-re using the DB25 vs the headphone outs, the DB25 outputs are line level and would require some kind of headphone amp(ART makes a really good option for this in the HeadAmp Pro6).
2-re cable runs, I think you will be hard pressed to hear any difference at all. In my Nashville commercial studio, I used the ART unit(and previously, a few other brands) and drove all the way up to a good 50' and never had an issue. I was using Sony MDR-V600 phones, which I believe use the same driver as the 7506, but the V600 has full-sized earcups for better isolation and comfort. Those are 63 ohms, so pretty efficient and most headphone amps will drive them louder than the drummer can stand(usually). Some of my HP cables were just spare mic lines on multi-core snakes, some were dedicated lines(Belden Plenum rated) and all had at least a 10' extension connecting the phones to the panel jacks.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-04-2023, 11:45 AM

Hi !

I had the same dilema :-/ . I ended up using the headphone 3 and 4 outs for headphones mixes . Just bought some flat short trs lines ( patchbay ones ) to run them below the carbon unit to the back of my desk. With just a trs jumper my trs lines distance is about 25 feet with not signal degradation at all.

Very happy that way !
Old 09-04-2023, 01:15 PM

If you need a headphone extension cable, I highly recommend the Live Wire Elite (Guitar Center house brand). I have one and there is no degradation of the signal. I was originally looking at Mogami but these are great, and much cheaper.

And they have a sale thru Wednesday where if you buy 2 or 3 Live Wire items you get 20-30% off, respectively. The 25ft one is not that expensive to begin with. You add 2 to cart and get 20% off, add 3 or more and get 30% off.
Old 09-07-2023, 04:58 PM

I use one of the headphone outs with a pair of headphones near the Carbon and have a pair of AIAIAI wireless headphones that run on 5g or something with super low latency. I use those in my vocal booth and drums.

Good to know people are using extensions without issues!

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/