Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2002, 11:02 PM

Default yamaha 01V

I am thinking of buying a Yamaha 01V digital mixer.. I have the Digi 001 (Windows) and Protools LE.. Does anyone have this setup already? Any comments? Any other recommendations for a digital mixer? you guys do seem to have a lot of knowledge when it comes to these things!
I use a Korg Triton synth, Roland VSR 880 hard disk recorder, Roland monitors.. Also Logic VS which is a special version of Logic for Roland VS series products.. I do some composing/programming.. hence the setup..
thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2002, 11:52 PM

Default Re: yamaha 01V

i have an 01v, but i am just setting it up, FINALLY! i bought it for the extra inputs and the onboard effects. with the optional adat/optical card you can digitally connect it to your digi 001. i know a few people with the 01v-001 combo and they love it. i pulled the quote below off of the mac forum, it offers some good info.

"You can controls transports on the 01v for PT LE. THe midi messages are in the back of the midi controllers guide you got when you purchased LE. For reference. You need to be using the CS10 emulation mode and on 01v remote page 3. Then for any of the buttons set up this message (BF, 16, SW, END) on the top row. THis is the command for start.

As far as using the EQ knobs to control parameters on PT LE plug ins, thats a definte no. They do not send messages. However you can get the faders to control all of the parameters of most plug ins if you set up the right messages. (THe waves plug ins don't work great.)

You can also send a signal through the optical connector into the 01v, use its dynamics, eq and effects and return it to PT LE which opens up a lot of effects changing without bogging down the ole Macintosh. The best part is that you don't have to send it. You can set it up as an insert just like a plug in.

You can also route your main outs via optical and through the 01v which lets you use the master fader and the monitor out knob as a master control volume rather than having to use the one on the 001."
Old 01-06-2002, 02:07 AM

I have an 01V and I really like it. I use the (optional) optical I/O card to send an additional 8 tracks to the Digi. I like this set up especially for recording drums because I can use the onboard dynamics processors as I track, and they are pretty good. I also have several pre-configred set ups all ready programmed in memory so I can change the routing very quickly (live drums to voice over in 3 button pushes). It also has 4 analog outs aswell but I rarely use them.
I use the S/PDIF out from the Digi to monitor through the 01V also.
I've been very happy with it, not the most intuitive mixer I've ever used but once you figure it out it works great.
I had a VS890 that I used on a specific project but I found the lack of direct outs pretty frustrating. Once I got my PTLE system happening I got rid of it while it still had a little value. It was a pretty expensive 'sketch pad'
Old 01-06-2002, 10:25 AM

thanks guys.. Any suggestions on a decent price? most of the stores sell it for between $1700 and $1900 I think..
thanks a lot for responding..
Old 01-06-2002, 01:12 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by baraka2002:
thanks guys.. Any suggestions on a decent price? most of the stores sell it for between $1700 and $1900 I think..
thanks a lot for responding..
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got mine for $1750 (plus tax)- the price included the optical adat/card. I got a quote from guitar center, then got the local music store to beat that price.