Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 08:51 AM

Default Re: The New Digidesign . . . A Prediction Only

Quote:
considering digidesign is part of avid, i doubt we'll see any lessening focus for that platform.

Avid is presently more PC compatible than Mac. Avid HD is ready for PC but will be Mac compatible "sometime ïn 2005". The Avid interface is still partially based on OS9. Avid screwed up protools on my Mac but not on my PC.

While the PC owns 90% of the market, it is primarily in networked business applications. My office has 35 computers and 6 servers that are PC. But in the Music and Graphics industry, that percentage may be in favour of the Mac. It would be interesting to know what percentage of Protools are mac based and PC based. based on the forums, its probably 50-50. So dropping PC or mac compatability is suicide.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 03-11-2005, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Your thoughts?
That said, to give you a less introspective and more upfront answer...
If Digidesign drop Mac support then I drop Digidesign, simple as that.
There are other fish in that sea, and I ain't going back to Windows....
I concur.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:05 PM

the bottom line... I can buy a screem'n Sony p4 with 2 sony 19" flat panel displays for half the cost of a g5 with one display. Since computers are like bic pens these days...ala the ink drys up and you gotta buy another one... the decision is clear. When I first was looking at the pc vs mac platforms to use for pt and talked to film guys and digi people they told me to buy a pc because the tide was quickly turning. Hmmmmmmmmmm. Digi and Avid wont drop apple over nite.. they are not that dumb... but, over the next couple of years... we shall see. From a business standpoint consolidation has been the rule. Yamaha acquires Korg and now Steinberg. That's powerful and very smart business stuff. Maybe, Tascam or Sony will buy AVID.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:28 PM

IMO..these are pure speculations..we are dealing with;
1) computer technology ( constantly changing)
2) software ( constantly changing)
3) business moves...unpredictable
You guys are all NUTS !
OK, I love fun, so I'll play along...> Martha Stewart will acquire AVID, and there will be a new slogan : " Art isn't enjoyable when you are hungry"..so additional PT functions will include Firewire hookup of all your kitchen appliances to assist in preparation of that perfect meal, while you're mixing ... " It's a good thing"
There...

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 03-11-2005, 12:46 PM

Quote:
" Art isn't enjoyable when you are hungry"..so additional PT functions will include Firewire hookup of all your kitchen appliances to assist in preparation of that perfect meal, while you're mixing ... " It's a good thing"
There...
hey , i want one of those
Old 03-11-2005, 10:12 PM

Quote:
For Digidesign to capitalize on the name PRO TOOLS.. they need to provide a system that is as intuitive and easy to operate as a korg or yamaha playstation. Maybe, the answer is a plug in card that sits in your pc and uses only gui and ram.
Wouldn't that be a Pro Tools TDM system?

The Kid
Old 03-11-2005, 11:54 PM

I feel that as Intel/AMD computers evolve over the years and Microsoft's operating system keeps getting better (XP is actually quite good in my opinion) the Digi/Intel/AMD/Microsoft relationship will continue to get stronger.

Although a ways out, the next milestone is going to be the standardization of 64-bit Intel and AMD hardware running the next generation of Windows (Longhorn). Right now Intel/AMD is doing a mighty fine job staying ahead of Apple in terms of performance, even though Apple is selling "dual 64-bit desktops" - what do you think is going to happen when Intel/AMD/Microsoft push 64-bit in the mainstream? It will be leaps and bounds above Apple. I believe that the Mac market is somewhat sustained in terms of numbers, but the PC platform [in the music biz] continue to gain new marketshare all the time. Only this past year have we seen Digi really step up and actually show the world they take Windows seriously. Since that time more people have felt comfortable making the decision "..that it's ok to use a PC for musiuc" instead of feeling like they are a black sheep among their peers. It's not just about cost, it's about overall value, performance, productivity gain, and maximizing use of the software you've invested in. Pro Tools benefits more from a faster single processor than slow dual processor. That's a bad thing for Mac users because their flagship machines are all dual processor but when running Pro Tools you get far less productivity for your money.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:34 AM

Mark, you think Digi is truly taking XP seriously when they cannot even get compatability through the various chipsets. No offence, but Digi is one of the very, VERY few companies that has alienated better than 50% of the PC market by not educating themselves with Microsoft's/iNTEL's S/W design requirements. I think they are hanging by their fingernails at the moment in remaining compatable with future generations of Windows OS' and next generation iNTEL archetecture. They either need to invest in some real talent or continue to grow the stain their seeing on their LE product line. 7.0 better be good!
Old 03-13-2005, 03:09 AM

I'm a have to concurr with the Goodnaturedspirit... I remember many many years ago this other platform managed to capture oh 50% of the music market - for about 5 minutes. THen they self-combusted and went all to hell faster than you can say kaboom!

Sometimes I really miss my old Atari + Real2 Reel 8 track and smpte controller... - *sigh* everything just worked then - It was simple by our standards today but hell - I put more material out thataway than I have managed to thisaway...