Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2004, 08:46 PM

Default Best CABLES to route small home studio?

I got some advice about getting some good, expensive cables for my audio set up...

People said Mogami Gold is best, but all I really see are Monster Cables at Sam Ash.

Which is best?
Old 10-12-2004, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Best CABLES to route small home studio?

Get a spool of Belden or Canare, a bunch of Switchcraft connectors, a soldering iron, and roll your own cables. You'll save money in the long run and learn a lot.

But to actually answer your question - if I had to pick between Mogami and Monster, I'd go with Mogami.

-Chris
Old 10-12-2004, 09:02 PM

If you're not handy with a soldering iron, you may want to try George L's solderless cable. They're hum free, and if you have a screwdriver and a pair of scissors, you can make cables. I used on an entire rack as well as 10' runs from the rack to my 002R, and have no problems with noise or hum. they're not just for effects pedals - with the right angle plugs, you can really clean up the back of your racks.

Of course, if you have the resources to solder and use better stuff, by all means.

Now if anyone knew a company that would install IEC power sockets on equipment where the power plug goes in the back (Yamaha SPX90, ADA MP-1, ADA Microcab II) I could get rid of 16 feet of power lines in my rack. A place called SF Cable (sfcable.com) makes 1 foot and 2 foot IEC 3-prong power cords, so you can clean up the back of your studio -- the less power cords dangling about, the better. I took out 75 feet of power cord by replacing existing 6 foot ones with 1 and 2 foot ones. Now, no hum!
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 10-12-2004, 09:24 PM

Go magami, monster is over priced and not as good (better then normal crap but not special.)

I think swithcraft xlr connectors are at on easier to solder on the neutriks.

Soldering mic cable (especially with the switchcraft connectors) is a pretty easy skill to pickup if your nto exprienced at it already.)
Old 10-12-2004, 09:39 PM

Quote:
If you're not handy with a soldering iron, you may want to try George L's solderless cable.
...but then you'd be wiring your studio with single-lead instrument cable, basically unbalancing any balanced connections you've got...and for no good reason.

Don't use guitar cable to wire your studio.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:42 PM

I like Georg L's for guitars, but they're not relevant for the balanced stuff from mics, pres and patchbays.

For the balanced stuff, build it yourself is tedious, but worthwhile. I use Mogami cable and Neutrik connectors - good stuff.

Old 10-13-2004, 01:54 AM

I believe 'em with the building your own cables thing, it is a little cheaper.. But time is money,,,, go buy Mogami Golds --
They KILL any other cable.

Are you a wire guy, or a producer/engineer/artist ??? Its the second thing RIGHT ??? Therefore buy some Mogami cables and get to work fast makin' some tight beats....

Now if you DO want to become a pro wiring engineer, then by all means get all the gear for that and do it like the previous posters said. You will learn what you want to learn, eventually become real good at it to, and have good cables for cheap(er).. Plus you could start doing it for other people and making some side loot on it.............. (get my drift???)

Personally I DON'T want to even know how to make my own cables... It would open a whole new can of worms in my brain -- And I got enough worms in my brain as there is

And from talking with you on the other threads, I feel you are kinda like me -- So my suggestion sticks --Buy Mogami Golds and get to work fast makin' some tight beats
Old 10-13-2004, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Are you a wire guy, or a producer/engineer/artist ???
Any engineer worth a damn knows, at minimum, how to make or fix cables...it's a basic tenet of troubshooting - and if you don't know how to troubleshoot, you can't call yourself an engineer. If I'm hiring you to engineer a gig and I find out you can't do a simple fix like that, you're no longer hired.

Haven't you ever been in a late-night session where seemingly every cable you pull off the wall is junked and you've got to save the session (or your butt) by making a fresh one?

This ain't a knock, Infa, but it seems that perhaps the only cable you're working with is the one coming from the rapper's mic. I guess "making tight beats" doesn't require much think-on-your-feet knowledge or reaction. Not everyone has that luxury or endless funds to just run out and buy a bunch of over-priced cables...but it's nice to hear that you do.

What's your secret?
Old 10-13-2004, 10:05 AM

High quality cables are important. Most pros I know use mogami. It's not better than monster it's cheaper. This reason of course makes it better to most. Not that big a deal for a few cables but the more you need the more cost becomes a factor. Try these guys http://www.redco.com/cable_assemblies_price_list.asp BTW the studio gold cables in retail stores I believe are 2534 cable with the gold nuetrik connectors. I could be wrong so check first. This could save some dough. Even if it is a little more than you thought remember quality cables last a long time, sound good, and stay with you through gear upgrades. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:32 PM

Quote:
A place called SF Cable (sfcable.com) makes 1 foot and 2 foot IEC 3-prong power cords, so you can clean up the back of your studio -- the less power cords dangling about, the better. I took out 75 feet of power cord by replacing existing 6 foot ones with 1 and 2 foot ones. Now, no hum!
I'd been wondering for the longest time how to get rid of all that excess power cord. Thanks for the info