Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2006, 04:26 AM

Default Is the ProjectMix I/O the right tool for me?

I hope you guys could help me out ... I'm new to DAW, and since ProjectMix I/O "will" be my first audio interface / mixing console I would like to know some things about it.

First of all, I don't own any retail software - currently I'm using the method "try before you buy", and still searching for the right software to make music, and eventually master it.
I started about 10 years ago (when I was like ... 12 years old) with Scream Tracker, so I'm more in to tracking, than piano roll. I also use Cubase for more than 10 years (started with Win 3.11), so kinda got used to it - but as I said, I'm faster and more creative with Renoise, for example. Well, that covers the software part ...

And now the HW audio part. I stared with AWE32, AWE64gold, SBLive and now X-Fi Fatal1ty. I became familiar with ASIO on SBLive (project Kx) and realized I can achieve minimum latency with it, I knew I couldn't go back

So what I need is a fast audio interface device with:
- minimum latency (for real time guitar effects)
- minimum 24bit / 96k
- one or more hi-z inputs (for el. guitar)
- minimum of 8 microphone inputs (unbalanced, maybe someday I'll try to record drum kits)
- minimum of 4 line outputs (for stereo or 5.1 monitoring)
- one or more headphone outputs
- ADAT lightpipe for 8 more channels (maybe drumset will need more than 8 microphones)
- device must be capable of recording minimum of 10 channels @ 24bit / 96k and playback the processed sound (stereo or 5.1)
- SPDIF Input for keyboards and such

You see I never mentioned any line inputs? When do You use them and why (keyboards, mic. preamps?)

1. So I started with Tascam FW1884
2. Then I got carried away and went for the Fireface 800 and Mackie Universal Control - a bit expensive.
3. This is when I got to the M-Audio ProjectMix I/O

How good are ProjectMix I/O's preamps? What's the latency? What kind of microphone do you recommend?

Does the M-Audio ProjectMix I/O fill my needs?
Old 02-22-2006, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Is the ProjectMix I/O the right tool for me?

You may be unhappy from the get go as PT LE does not do 5.1. Yes, it can done but it is a PITA as you must use aux sends to acheive the 5.1 channels so surround panning is clumsy at best. Line inputs are handy for keyboards and any outboard gear you might want to use(analog mic pre's, outboard effects and inserts). Microphone inputs are balanced(not unbalanced as you post says) and I agree that 8 is a minimum. So I think maybe you need to qualify your question as to whether you are going for the Project mix to use with protools M powered, or to use it with Cubase.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-23-2006, 04:01 AM

Ok, so 5.1 is not that important to me - just wanted to know if it's possible.

Anyway, decision between ProTools LE and Cubase is indeed a big question here. I figured I'd buy the ProjectMix I/O since it'll be my only chance to work with ProTools, but then again I'm more experienced with Cubase... I think I'm going to go with the M powered Protools ...

So does the ProjectMix I/O work with ProTools 7?
What kind of system do you recommend? AMD PC, Intel PC, Intel Mac?
I'm having some doubts about Firewire 400 - is the Project Mix I/O capable of recording 12 tracks (24bit / 96kHz) and playing back 2 channels (24bit / 96kHz)?
How about the ADAT (input) lightpipe - is it capable of transferring 8 channels at 96kHz, or just 4 channels?

Ok, I ask too many question - but I didn't find anything I need to know in the manual

Thank you for your help and effort!
Old 02-23-2006, 05:59 AM

Quote:
So does the ProjectMix I/O work with ProTools 7?
Yes, but it would be Pro Tools MPowered 7. You can use the PMI/O to control LE 7, but you couldn't use it as an audio interface; you would still need to buy LE hardware.

You really should be asking these questions over in the Pro Tools for MPowered forum; more people there would nkow the answers to your questions.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-23-2006, 06:14 AM

Quote:
You really should be asking these questions over in the Pro Tools for MPowered forum; more people there would nkow the answers to your questions.
Thanks, i'll do that.