Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2010, 07:41 PM

Exclamation Hard Drive Recovery Service?

I have a problem with my main Pro Tools drive.

It is a internal SATA Seagate 500 gb drive.

The SATA connector that connects the drive to the motherboard broke.

Where the SATA cable connects to the drive itself is a piece of plastic that fits inside the SATA cable. This plastic piece has broken somehow and the pins are no able to touch. So the OS and the BIOS does not see it.

Can anyone help here or suggest a service who can fix this drive enough to get the data off?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2010, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Hard Drive Recovery Service?

I sent my original 750G SATA internal Seagate and they fixed it free as it was a mechanical problem. Call them, I got mine back with a data intact.

Doc
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 08-02-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFord View Post
I sent my original 750G SATA internal Seagate and they fixed it free as it was a mechanical problem. Call them, I got mine back with a data intact.

Doc
Who did you send it to?

And do you have their number?

Thanks
Old 08-02-2010, 07:32 PM

It probably went to Seagate so check their website for contact info. If you could buy another of the exact model and version, you could move the circuit board to the broken drive and likely access all your data to copy it to another drive. This will be a hard-learned but well-learned lesson regarding backups. If your data doesn't exist in 3 places, its not properly backed up(not nagging here, but its a lesson I learned a while back and won't suffer over it again....fingers crossed, but data is backed up on multiple drives. Data recovery services are very expensive.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-02-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
It probably went to Seagate so check their website for contact info. If you could buy another of the exact model and version, you could move the circuit board to the broken drive and likely access all your data to copy it to another drive. This will be a hard-learned but well-learned lesson regarding backups. If your data doesn't exist in 3 places, its not properly backed up(not nagging here, but its a lesson I learned a while back and won't suffer over it again....fingers crossed, but data is backed up on multiple drives. Data recovery services are very expensive.
No I appreciate it albee1952.
This is the route I chose to go earlier.
Just ordered the HEX drives and found the same model seagate on ebay for cheap.
I did talk to the folks who handle DATA recovery for Seagate today.
They said it would be $1200 to recover the DATA.
So I pray this will work.

On the lines of lessons learned. This event has been hard to swallow. The drive holds music the Lord has given me from the past year and a half. I am asking for His mercy here. Please be in agreement with me that the Lord do a miracle with this.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2010, 09:38 PM

Weird that they charged you for data recovery. Since it is a hardware failure... you said it was a connector that broke, as opposed to a hard drive issue with the internals. My problem was with the ROM on the drive, and they had to flash it and re-install... whatever they do.

I'm surprised a connector would cause them to have to open the drive. The reason for the cost mostly being the clean room.

Anyways, I learned this lesson in the exact same way, and I think Albee was the one to offer advice then as well! Now I have 2 external 250 drives with archives on them... same stuff on both drive. My main OS drive, a 750g work drive, and a 2TB drive that stores the Time Machine Backup of my OS drive and a copy of the work drive. I know it's not a triple backup system... but that's the next step.

For bigger studios, its always worth getting a 16 drive raid system, or using online backups and offsite storage.
You can put a price on your hourly, but you can't put a price on your backup drives of the client's album.

Doc
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1