Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 11:48 AM

Default M-Box Mic input question

I had just finished recording acoustic guitar tracks using the 'inst' level input and a TRS connector. No problem (by the way thanks to whoever for the help regarding the hardware buffer!).
I then wanted to set up the SM-58 for some scratch vocals. I plugged it into the mic input (using XLR of course), made sure that the "mic" light was lit on the Mbox input 1, armed the track, and got practically no signal into PT until I cranked the input level on the MBox all the way.
I switched to the Mic input 2, changed the input on PT for that track to Mic/Line 2, set the mic input switch for input 2 on the Mbox, armed the track- same result.

Again, my inst/line inputs are working fine. Is this a problem with the mic-preamps inside the MBox??? (its practically new- August '05), or am I missing something obvious??

Thanks in advance for all helpful replies

VeMan
Old 09-20-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: M-Box Mic input question

you did turn phantom power on, right?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:31 PM

SM-58's are dynamic and don't require phantom power...

Dean
Old 09-20-2005, 12:51 PM

Although, yes I did try that knowing that SM-58s aren't phantom powered. Thanks, though.

VeMan
Old 09-20-2005, 01:05 PM

they dont requite phantom power, no. but using it will increase the level of the signal.

if that didnt work i dont know
Old 09-20-2005, 01:14 PM

Quote:
they dont requite phantom power, no. but using it will increase the level of the signal.

Not true. Phantom power to a Shure SM58 or SM57 will not increase levels.

SM 57 and SM58 are dynamic mic's, and may seem a bit unsensitive. Just put them very close to the source of the audio and you'll be fine. Or get yourself some condensors.

Also make sure you use balanced cables. some cheap XLS-cables feature XLR-plugs on either end, but only have ground and signal inside.....

Bastiaan
Old 09-20-2005, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Jenre - that is simply incorrect. Applying phantom power when using a dynamic mic will have NO effect on the signal level. Exception - the rare dynamic mics (such as Blue Ball) which require phantom power.

It's not unexpected that you'll need to raise the gain control on the Mbox mic preamp. The Mbox preamps don't have a large amount of maximum gain, and the SM58 does not put out a very large signal.

Old 09-20-2005, 01:26 PM

The mic cable is proven OK?
Sorry to ask the obvious....
Old 09-20-2005, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Not true. Phantom power to a Shure SM58 or SM57 will not increase levels.

SM 57 and SM58 are dynamic mic's, and may seem a bit unsensitive. Just put them very close to the source of the audio and you'll be fine. Or get yourself some condensors.

Also make sure you use balanced cables. some cheap XLS-cables feature XLR-plugs on either end, but only have ground and signal inside.....
OK, so does that mean that only balanced XLR cables send their signal on pin#2??? I'm not sure if mine is balanced or not, and didn't realize that made a difference. But the Mbox says that mic signal only comes in on pin#2 (the middle pin).

Thanks again for help on this. Anybody else have any ideas? More importantly, is it possible to screw up the mic preamps on both imputs if a line- or instrument-level signal happened to come through on the mic input??

VeMan
Old 09-20-2005, 01:48 PM

Quote:
The mic cable is proven OK?
Sorry to ask the obvious....
Yes, as is the mic. Both worked fine through a PA.

Obvious is good!

VeMan