Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2003, 08:55 PM

Default It\'s time DIGI upped the ante on PT\'s

There is a couple of major things Digi need to implement in the next release if they intend on keeping up with the competition, & it bugs me that this hasn't been a priority from the start as it seems like basic but crucial stuff to me...

1) behind the scenes plug-in delay compensation.

2) multiple bit rate & sample rate files within the same session (16 & 24 bit/44.1 & 96k files sharing the same session without converting)

3) 24 bit POW-r dither implemented on every
channel of the mixer & main outputs (in the background) with a preference to include noise shaping options e.g. POW-r type 2, type 3 etc.

4) Faster than realtime bounce option.

5) Full Authoring & Cd burning directly out of tools in realtime.

Protools is a very well thought out piece of software & is very intuitive to use but these things I have mentioned are core stuff that we shouldn't have to deal with in everyday mixing/mastering.

I am sick of instantiating plugins & bypassing them to match plug in delays & using extra cpu/dsp in the process. It is also time consuming doing import/convert for files that don't match the sessions settings.

It's time Digi upped the ante on their software now that their hardware is becoming better & by paying closer attention to the needs of their user base. New comers in the PC audio world like Samplitude & Sequoia, have the above implemented & more & have only been going for a short time...

Digi please hear our plead...

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 07-20-2003, 09:18 PM

Default Re: It\'s time DIGI upped the ante on PT\'s

Quote:

5) Full Authoring & Cd burning directly out of tools in realtime.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">These would save me so much time. I do a half hour radio program every week, two actually and this would save me so much time. That was the one (and only) thing that I prefered in Pro Audio 9 over PT. Bouncing a 30 minute session in 3 minutes instead of 30.
Then to be able to create a CD extra to have both the playable track and the session on the same CD would really be great.
One other thing of this feature would be to automatically copy the entire session to the CD all in the Audio files folder on the CD no matter where they are on your computer.

PT 6.1 otherwise is a really great program. These additions would just make it that much better.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:01 AM

what about "Snap to Zero Crossing"???

C**l Ed*t Pro had that from version 0.0 !!!
Old 07-21-2003, 06:37 AM

I would guess the difficulty here is that you would lose any mixer routing that went 'outside the box' and, as when processing audiosuite and consolidating, losing realtime crossfades would reveal lots of clicks on edits. This last point, of course, would be solved by a Snap to Zero Crossing option when editing in the first place. You're right though - an option to 'Faster than realtime bounce' would be nice for those not using external processing/sound sources.

m.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:40 AM

The big question is this:

How long can Digi keep a limit of 32 tracks, when a new g5 can play over 100 with 5 plugs on each track?

...."too long" is my guess.

I love PT, but if I spend all that money on a g5 (rev 2), I'm gonna want to push it to the max...32 tracks pthwwwwww......

Horne
Old 07-21-2003, 07:55 AM

Matt_G is dead on. I think the problem here is that Digi fancies itself as a Big Wig in the DAW industry (which it is, of course, nobody denies that...) BUT, in doing so, it seems that they feel the implementation of Direct Burning, Snap to Zero Crossing, Plugin Delay Compensation, etc. would mean catching up to other platforms...i.e. if Digi didn't think of it in the first place, they don't want to add it. I mean, it's a small miracle that they added ReWire to 6.1.

I can almost guarantee you that we won't see anything like Logic's Freeze command any time soon...not that they can't, but it's almost like it's too good of an idea to include. Digidesign could EASILY have the absolute BEST hands-down DAW on the face of the planet if they let themselves just do so, instead of being hellbent on crippling their own software and limiting features which should be standard (all Matt_G's requests and much more). I should add here that I'm not just talking about a Timecode ruler and the other things that make LE what it is - I'm talking about features that are now routinely showing up across the board on other software DAW platforms in the same price range as (or lower than) PTLE. The kind of features we're talking about aren't even available in the $30k HD systems.

Sorry for the Rant, everyone, I just wanted to voice that I agree with Matt_G on this one.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I am sick of instantiating plugins & bypassing them to match plug in delays & using extra cpu/dsp in the process.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Forgive my ignorance, but what does this mean? Can you give me an example of when you need to do this?

G4 1.25DP/FW800/1.25GB/OS X 10.3.5/Digi 001/LE 6.4
Old 07-21-2003, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dans:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> I am sick of instantiating plugins & bypassing them to match plug in delays & using extra cpu/dsp in the process.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Forgive my ignorance, but what does this mean?<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">When you put a plugin on a track, it takes time for the processing to occur and introduces a small delay on the resultant processed signal, usually on the order of samples, i.e. 64 sample delay for a given plugin.

Quote:

Can you give me an example of when you need to do this?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Anytime you multi-mic something and record the result to different tracks, but want to process tracks differently...i.e. two mics on an acoustic guitar - or many mics on a drum kit. When you start to put different plugins across the various tracks, you'll start to hear the phase relationship between the tracks go to hell. This is why automatic background plugin delay compensation would be HUGE.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:18 AM

Thanks, Chris. I completely understand about the delay in processing and how that would cause problems. But I'm still a bit confused on how this is fixed without automatic compensation.
Quote:
I am sick of instantiating plugins & bypassing them to match plug in delays & using extra cpu/dsp in the process.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm still not 100% clear on what this means.

G4 1.25DP/FW800/1.25GB/OS X 10.3.5/Digi 001/LE 6.4
Old 07-21-2003, 01:39 PM

Quote:

I would guess the difficulty here is that you would lose any mixer routing that went 'outside the box' and, as when processing audiosuite and consolidating, losing realtime crossfades would reveal lots of clicks on edits. This last point, of course, would be solved by a Snap to Zero Crossing option when editing in the first place. You're right though - an option to 'Faster than realtime bounce' would be nice for those not using external processing/sound sources.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I understand this and I didn't mean to imply that they shoud get rid of real time BTD. However my half hour programs for radio have no external effects and usually few if any plug ins.

Having both options would be great.