Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2003, 02:44 PM

Default Re: It\'s time DIGI upped the ante on PT\'s

Quote:
Originally posted by dans:
Why can't the tracks be aligned manually? In other words, why couldn't you just keep pushing the plugin track back a sample at a time until it sounds in phase? Not that this isn't a pain and not that PTLE shouldn't be able to compensate for this automatically, but isn't that a valid workaround?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It is extremely hard sometimes to hear whether or not you are in phase or just a few samples off. Better to be sample accurate then always be wondering if that little thing bugging you about your mix is that one track you tried to line up by ear.
AJ
Old 07-21-2003, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dans:
Why can't the tracks be aligned manually? In other words, why couldn't you just keep pushing the plugin track back a sample at a time until it sounds in phase? Not that this isn't a pain and not that PTLE shouldn't be able to compensate for this automatically, but isn't that a valid workaround?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Okay, imagine a series of plugins that put a total delay of 256 samples on one track. Now imagine nudging your audio 256 times at the sample level (and most likely the track is edited with a bunch of regions to move simultaneously, never a good idea)...NOW imgaine doing that for 10 drum tracks.

This is stuff that takes agonizing minutes and hours away from MAKING and MIXING music if done manually, but should be fairly easily calculatable and executable by the CPU in the background. Or at least, it would seem that way.

There are workarounds for any problem on any platform...but I think the goal of any software company should be to minimize that fact.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:05 PM

FWIW: Many RTAS Plugs are delay compensated without using delay plugs.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:39 PM

>>>>imagine a series of plugins that put a total delay of 256 samples on one track. Now imagine nudging your audio 256 times at the
sample level (and most likely the track is edited with a bunch of regions to move simultaneously, never a good idea)...NOW imgaine
doing that for 10 drum tracks.>>>>>

Further, imagine the client coming in and deciding he doesn't like that plug and you should get rid of it...and having to put all the tracks back where they originally were.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:52 PM

OK, now I see why this is a problem. Between this and the inherent latency problems with all native DAWs, I think that Digi should indeed come out with PTLE that automatically compensates for all timing problems. Make manufacturers provide latency specs in their code to allow PTLE to automatically compensate. That would be a big selling point.

I'll never forget how bummed I was when I first discovered latency on my 001 back in 1999. The guy at the store said it was "all you need to record". A few days later when it was all set up, I'm playing and thinking, "Why does it seem like my digital piano isn't responding correctly?" That's when I learned that latency of even a few miliseconds is unacceptable. I was back to the store the next day to buy my Mackie 1604VLZ mixer. Latency sucks.

G4 1.25DP/FW800/1.25GB/OS X 10.3.5/Digi 001/LE 6.4
Old 07-21-2003, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Okay, imagine a series of plugins that put a total delay of 256 samples on one track. Now imagine nudging your audio 256 times at the sample level
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i'm totally with you guys on the general point here -- plugin latency is annoying and the software should help us get around it -- but surely you realize that actually you'd just have to nudge the audio twice at the 100-sample setting, five times at the 10-sample setting, and six times at the 1-sample setting....
Old 07-21-2003, 05:36 PM

...or just type in 256 in the nudge setting in the edit window and nudge once.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by digiengineer:
FWIW: Many RTAS Plugs are delay compensated without using delay plugs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Like which ones? I didn't know that any plugs are compensated.... please provide more info.

Anywho...
yeah, plug-in delay compensation and CD burning seem like two things that should be implemented immediately. I mean, we can import a movie and score it but we can't burn a CD?
Old 07-21-2003, 10:23 PM

Quote:
...or just type in 256 in the nudge setting in the edit window and nudge once.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think the problem here is that no one actually knows the exact number of samples. 256 was just an example. Chris said, "imagine a series of plugins that put a total delay of 256 samples on one track". The hard part is figuring out the number. And then if the plugin is changed or removed, the number changes and you're back to nudging more.

G4 1.25DP/FW800/1.25GB/OS X 10.3.5/Digi 001/LE 6.4
Old 07-21-2003, 10:58 PM

I wonder if you could find out the delay by sending the audio with the plug on it out a direct out and then re-recording it to another track. You can then see the delay and use the "section length" (in samples) to see how far off it is, then adjust accordingly...............right? If this works it will still have to be done according to what plug in you're using.