Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-1999, 07:41 AM

Default No Output on Digi001 w/ G4 450 Sawtooth

Has anyone seen a solution to this issue?
Situation:
G4 450 Sawtooth
Mac OS 8.6
AGP graphics card slot 1
Digi001 Card slot 2
Factory SCSI Card slot 3 (unused)
384 MB Ram

1st Try: installed everything according to the manuel. Test executible runs fine. Software does not crash. Levels move when using Soundcheck Test session. No sound through any output or through headphones. Not a peep. Power light is on. Tested phantom power and that LED lit itself as well.

2nd Try: called digidesign tech support. [note the guy there was great]. Ran through second install. Noticed that in the session the output was listed as going to an 888. Setup Base set of extension plus the 4 required digi and OMS extension. Threw out preferences. Started second session and this time everything looked correct. Output was to 1 Analog S/PIDF - 2 Analog S/PIDF. Still nothing is being output to anything.

Digiguy said this was as far as he could go with the problem. Spent an hour troubleshooting it and then several more trying to fool with things. Went to the sound control panel and set the output to digidesign. No help here either. I am working under some time constraits and would like to not have to wait the month or two until the G4/450 is fully supported. Thanks in advance for all the assitance.
Old 12-03-1999, 09:14 AM

Default Re: No Output on Digi001 w/ G4 450 Sawtooth

I had the same problem on my G3. And I know Mac's.....(I am a part-timne employee with
Apple)
I also ran the test to verify that the 001PCI card was OK.....and it was.....still no sound from anywhere.
Then, I reconnected my cable. Made damn sure I hear it click into place on both ends, I mean, I practically drove the ends through the interfaces......and suddenly sound.
Check your connections.
Reseat your PCI card.....simple as it sounds, that was my problem.
Old 12-03-1999, 10:20 AM

I had the same problem with no sound and on the cable was connected but still no sounds.
But when I put the demoin everyting was fine.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON???

LIL PEANUT
Old 12-03-1999, 02:27 PM

Hey peanut, if you mean "no sound" as far as midi is concerned, be aware that after creating new midi track, you must also create an aux track to monitor the midi. Dean
Old 12-03-1999, 07:14 PM

Why must an aux. track have to be created for a midi track? And does this mean that each midi track will req/ an aux or just 1 aux for all midi tracks??
Not to complain but.......It just seems a little inefficient.
Won't this eat up the numbers of tracks available?
Old 12-03-1999, 09:43 PM

Not true. You don't need to have an aux
track for midi tracks. Just create a midi
track and configure it right and it acts
exactly like a single audio track in the
mixer and editor. Kevin
Old 12-04-1999, 07:46 PM

If you want to monitor the MIDI sound source through the Pro Tools mixer, then you will need two tracks: one for MIDI, and one acting as an auxillary input for the sound source. These aux inputs don't count as a "voice" so they won't affect your available track count. However, they will add to the complexity of the mixer, which will add slightly to the load on your system.

If you're monitoring your MIDI sound source through an external mixer, then of course you would only need the single MIDI track. However, I suspect that most people will want to route the MIDI sounds into the Pro Tools mixer, so they can do all their mixing in PT and do a bounce-to-disk for the final mixdown.

- atom -
Old 12-05-1999, 07:11 AM

Scratched my head for about an hour too w/ my G3 & 001 w/ no audio output. But reseating the SCSI cable on the 001 did the trick.

------------------
Michael Comstock
Indre Studios, Philadelphia

www.indrestudios.com
Old 12-05-1999, 07:29 AM

Thank you Atom12.
Old Boy: You'll need just one aux track to route all your midi channels through.

[This message has been edited by Dean Bohana (edited 12-05-99).]
Old 12-06-1999, 07:12 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys.
I spent most of saturday fooling with multiple setups. And still nothing. I have reseated the PCI card a bunch of times and same for the cable. Even tried installing the software again. Nothing seems to help.

So I tried following the instructions in the manuel for putting the Digi001 into monitor mode. It says you can do this even if the machine is off. Still no sound at all. Has anyone gotten the "monitor mode - power off on the Mac" to work? If so, what was the setup (which inputs, outputs, headphones, et cetera).

Finally, if I can not get that to work at all, could that mean I have a dead Digi001?

Thanks in advance!