Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2000, 02:15 AM

Default New Drive?? Please Help!

Hi Everyone,
I'm currently running a 001 w/a G3/233Mhz 320Mram all-in-one 4g IDE drive. ( I believe I'll have to check the specs.)

I read from a post by Shaggy that it's best to have a separate drive for audio. Thus freeing up valuable cpu pwr. My question is two fold:
1: I have an available slot for a zip drive with a scsi cable just waiting to connect to something. Is there a PT compatible 10-20g drive that will fit in that slot no problem and hook right up?
2: How many partiions should the new drive be split into and should I partion my HD and why?
Thanx,
( 0}===;;;
Old 08-02-2000, 04:44 AM

Default Re: New Drive?? Please Help!

Basically in answer to the second question, I am just fitting a Lacie 20Gig Firewire HD to my G4 and am about to partition it for audio purposes. I have read up on the subject and have the following reccommended partitions for your set-up:
1/ Boot partition-system folder AND nothing else! Put any files that change frequently(browser cache) into a data partition
2/ Scratch partition-for audio recordings. By keeping it small enough it improves overall performance and you can re-formatt after every tune, so as to avoid any frag.
3/ Applications partition- programs, internet applications
4/ Data partition(s)- temporary files(songs, internet downloads and email. On this one use a virus checker
Hope this is useful-got it from SOS 08/00
Old 08-02-2000, 06:07 AM

Hi guitarman1,
I,ve got a G3/266 and I,m running an IBM 9.2g/7200rpm drive in the slot your talking about. It,s not partitioned and I think I have about 6g of sessions on it and hav'nt had a problem.
Good luck,
Tim:d
Old 08-02-2000, 06:09 AM

Oops,
I hit lower case d instead of
Old 08-02-2000, 08:03 AM

In response to your question. Adding another drive for audio does not free up your cpu. Because audio causes fragmentation. You do not want it to be on the same drive as your apps. It will cause many problems. You could go with an ibm ultrastar 10,000 rpm I have one and it is great. You can run it on the internal scsi bus. You should partition if the drive is over 9 gigs. It will improve seek times. Also go into the storage subsystem issues and read posts by steve rosenthal, he is the hd guru at digidesign. Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2000, 10:19 AM

Thanx to all for your replies. It was very helpful. This is quite a weird machine this all-in-one has it's own set of rules.
But so far 001 is workin semi- smoothly. As soon as I come up with some green I'll run down to the local and get a drive.
BTW the machine doesn't have firewire.
What size of a drive should I consider and how much should it cost.
Thanx again,
( 0}===;;;