How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2021, 10:50 AM

Default Sync Pro Tools as slave to other composing DAW

Hi,
I need to host video inside Pro Tools, and set is a slave.
I will be composing using other DAWs (Studio One, Logic, Reaper) so that they can be the "master" and will also need to record the output of my composing DAW into a stereo track in Pro Tools.

More or less what happens in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLayIcGWsDQ&t=627s

I have only one computer (Mac Pro) and only one audio interface.

I was not able to achieve this even after trying multiple guides found online and on this forum as well...would anyone be able to help me get my head around it?

Thanks so much and all the best
-m
Motu M4

Pro Tools 2021.6

Last edited by mikeheels; 07-19-2021 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Sync Pro Tools as slave to other composing DAW

You can use MTC to send/receive from one DAW to another within the same machine. Look into your Audio MIDI Setup > MIDI Network Setup window. Create a session and set your DAW accordingly.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 07-18-2021, 02:14 AM

Hi, welcome to the community.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ssage/en342237
Old 07-18-2021, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Thanks for your help, but I followed that same article and I could not manage to make it work.
The article is from 2009 so I assumed that was the reason.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:00 AM

Principle is still the same. But let me try if memory serves me right.

First you want to set Logic for MTC and MMC send, then on PT set MTC reader port to "any" and you should find something that says Logic Sync in MTC generator port. IAC Driver or something, you would see this name in Audio MIDI Setup. PT MIDI Machine Control also need to be enabled, as well as MIDI Beat Clock delay compensation.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:03 AM

Quote:

First you want to set Logic for MTC and MMC send, then on PT set MTC reader port to "any" and you should find something that says Logic Sync in MTC generator port. IAC Driver or something, you would see this name in Audio MIDI Setup. PT MIDI Machine Control also need to be enabled, as well as MIDI Beat Clock delay compensation.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot JFreak, I'll try later tonight and report back.
All the best
-m
Old 07-18-2021, 04:11 AM

No problem. I hope you get it going.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:22 AM

Quote:

Hope this helps.
Janne, OP says he has only one audio interface while Avid's article is based on two interfaces.

5. You'll want to make sure that both of your audio interfaces for Logic and Pro Tools are synced to the same clock, so you should connect a digital out from your Digi HW to a digital in on your Logic hardware. You can use ADAT or SPDIF (RCA or Optical).

Make sure your Pro Tools session and Logic session are set to the same sample rate - in Pro Tools this is set when you create the session. In Logic you can set this in File>Project Settings>Audio.

AFAIK, PT does not allow concurrent use of Avid interfaces. So, if OP is using Avid IFs then this might fail, that is, PT runs with IF and Logic runs with internal or vice versa? You would need a tunnelling protocol like ReWire or virtual interface like Blackhole driver (https://github.com/ExistentialAudio/BlackHole) or similar (e.g., Rogue Amoeba products http://rogueamoeba.com)—maybe as an aggregate device—for inter-process audio transfer.

Last edited by theAlien; 07-18-2021 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2021, 05:04 AM

It can be done with single interface, if the single interface can be shared with multiple DAW. Also, I got the impression that PT only need to be slaved to show video, interface is irrelevant.

EDIT: I have synced PT and Logic with a single Apogee Symphony mkII
Old 07-18-2021, 05:11 AM

Quote:
It can be done with single interface, if the single interface can be shared with multiple DAW. Also, I got the impression that PT only need to be slaved to show video, interface is irrelevant.

EDIT: I have synced PT and Logic with a single Apogee Symphony mkII
Janne, I explicitly stated Avid interfaces. People using Avid interfaces with PT in non-CoreAudio mode might face troubles without understanding the underlying issue.

OP says: "... and will also need to record the output of my composing DAW into a stereo track in Pro Tools."