How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2023, 05:04 PM

Default All AAX plugins missing PT2023.12

Hi,

I've re-installed Pro Tools 2023.12 after not having used it for 2 years. In between I worked with Ableton and was able to simply run my Soundtoys, Waves, Native Instruments plugins.

Now I know with the whole apple Silicon issues we were supposed to run it in Rosetta but it seems like I'm having a different issue. The Apple Silicon Pro Audio Compatibility Chart issues my plugins as natively working, and NI and Soundtoys state on their website that it they're compatible with PT2023 as well.

What I'm wondering is if I should re-install these plugins since they were installed before Pro tools was installed? Or could it be because I installed this latest version of PT which might have problems?

I'm running on MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)
Apple M1 Pro
macOS Monterey 12.5

All help is welcome
Old 12-12-2023, 05:34 PM

Default Re: All AAX plugins missing PT2023.12

Ok so apparently a reinstallation created the aax files in the Avid folder so that solved the issue
Old 12-18-2023, 03:24 PM

Can you specify more? Trying to solve an issue I am having.
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4
Old 12-18-2023, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudahThadeo View Post
Ok so apparently a reinstallation created the aax files in the Avid folder so that solved the issue
Not sure exactly what happened there, but a reisntallation of Pro Tools can normally only update the core plugins included with Pro Tools itself. Maybe you had a corrupted plugin cache that got recreated (which trashing prefs will also do) here that solved the problem.

When you suspect problems related to Apple Silicon and plugins support etc. a great thing to do is run a plugin report using Pete Gate's free PT Prefs 2 program (https://petegates.com/pgptprefs.html) and see what is actually installed in the plugin folder and if they support Apple Silicon (i.e. are marked Universal) or are intel only (marked x64). And PT Prefs 2 also makes it easy to trash prefs which may just magically fix many issues to start with.

...and...

Quote:
Now I know with the whole apple Silicon issues we were supposed to run it in Rosetta but it seems like I'm having a different issue. The Apple Silicon Pro Audio Compatibility Chart issues my plugins as natively working, and NI and Soundtoys state on their website that it they're compatible with PT2023 as well.
Uh no. Starting with Pro Tools 2023.3 (and Pro Tools 2022.12 with beta Apple Silicon Support) there is official support for Apple Silicon native, and you should aim to run that without Rosetta (the default behavior) unless you have legacy plugins that does not support Apple Silicon native. By now many plugins do, but not all.

And be careful about plugin vendors who say things like "supports Apple Silicon" meaning it runs OK under Rosetta and actually having native Apple Silicon ports of their plugins. Some plugin vendors are just awful how they talk about this. Again, just use PT Prefs 2 to check.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-18-2023 at 05:11 PM.