Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2006, 09:47 PM

Default Unable to audition any virtual instrument

Hopefully someone else has had this problem. I have installed many virtual instruments on my computer (Ivory, EW Symphonic Orchestra, Morphology, Stylus, Trilogy, etc.). I am using ProTools LE 6.4, OSX 10.3.9 and my keyboard (an Ensonic ZR-76) to trigger midi. I am only able to trigger midi notes from my keyboard when I am recording. In addition, when I am recording I am not hearing myself play. I have tried both Auto Input Monitoring and Input Only Monitoring and nothing allows me to hear what I'm recording. It only plays back the notes through the plugin when I play back what I recorded. I also can only audition the virtual instruments by manually hitting the notes on the little keyboard in the plugin. If I play my keyboard (Ensonic), I hear nothing and nothing on the computer shows that midi notes are being received. In Audio Midi Setup I created a new device for my keyboard and made sure that all the channels are being rec'd. I link that midi out to the midi in on the Digi001. In Pro Tools, I created a midi track (record enabled) linking the input to the correct channel on my keyboard and with an output to the plugin. Then I have put the plugin as an insert on an audio track and I can't hear anything. I've also tried putting the plugin on an aux AND I tried putting it on an aux with the output being a bus with an audio track having the input as the same bus. I have also run the disk utility on my computer to fix permissions. I have tried everything I can think of and I can still only hear the virtual instrument when I play back midi that's been recorded or hit the notes manually, but not from my Ensonic. I have also tried connecting a MicroKontrol via USB and I run into the same problem. I need to be able to audition it BEFORE recording and DURING recording. Please help!! If anyone can run me through step by step on how they set things up, maybe I can see if something is missing in my setup.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Unable to audition any virtual instrument

js1

Check MIDI Thru.

filosofem
Old 06-07-2006, 10:04 PM

I was having a problem like this with one VI (don't remember which one) the other day, It wouldn't make a sound until I selected my main audio input as the track's input. Hope that helps.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:23 PM

Thanks!!! Midi thru worked! I had tried that before, but I must have had something else wrong at the time. Finally!!! I was about ready to reinstall the OS, which would have sucked...Thanks again!
Old 06-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Avid

While MIDI Thru worked for you, I wanted to briefly return to the last post.

>>I was having a problem like this with one VI (don't remember which one) the other day, It >>wouldn't make a sound until I selected my main audio input as the track's input. Hope that helps.

One of the many improvements made in PT 7.0 was related to this. Before PT 7.0, you had to assign an input to the track where your virtual instrument was inserted. PT 7.0 gave plug-in developers a new software API under the hood that _allows_ them to not require users to do this. Put simply, if a given plug-in supports this new feature in PT 7.0, then you as a user don't have to assign an input in order to hear sound from the plug-in.

While many plug-in developers have made this minor change to their plug-ins, a few have not. That's why you will only hear audio from some but not all plug-ins on an aux track when their input is not assigned. If you run into this, just assign the input, make sure MIDI Thru is set accordingly, and consider sending a quick note to the plug-in manufacturer about it.

Jim West
Plug-in Program Manager
Digi
Old 06-15-2006, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the response. It's a bummer though that so many midi problems were fixed with this new version when it doesn't support hardware that so many of us still have. Have you guys thought of creating updates that fix the midi bugs for PT versions that still work with the Digi001, like version 6? I can't afford to go buy the Digi002. The PT that I have is the highest one that I can use with the Digi001. Would have been nice for the new version to still be compatible with the Digi001. Some people can't afford to buy a whole new system when new versions of software come out. And unfortunately I will need support sometimes with midi issues until I am able to spend the money to get the Digi002. Hopefully once I do that, you won't create a new and improved PT version that only works with a Digi003 or something by then. haha I do like working with PT though and I'm glad you have this forum- otherwise I probably would still be trying to figure out how to get the virtual instruments to work.