Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2023, 04:54 AM

Default Reaper

I wouldn't be surprised if this post is removed as it's not directly related to problem-solving PT but

I was recently overlooked for a film post-production project and the facility that got the job uses Reaper. This set off alarm bells in my mind but maybe I'm out of touch.

Is Reaper used professionally for film & TV nowadays? Am I mistaken in thinking it's mainly used in podcasting/ radio/ amateur projects?

I've been on PT for about 20 years and am not about to change. I've been asked about Fairlight (due to it's compatibility/ bundling with Resolve) but you know how it is when something just works...
Old 10-18-2023, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Reaper

The biggest pro sector it finds the majority of use in is audio for games.

Outside of that I’d say maybe music would be the next biggest.

Using it for post for film/TV would be a PITA considering it doesn’t support AAF export/import. Without a doubt, at some point, you’re going to need to transfer or import from a PT project. Without AAF support, it’s useless unless you use the excellent AATranslator. I did the edit/sound design/post (essentially everything) on a big podcast last year that had draft edits done in Reaper and without AATranslator, it wouldn’t have been possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2023, 08:17 AM

No it is not widely used in post because everything post-related is such a kludge. I've heard of some people that do but they work isolated and don't have to share with collaborators or facilities.

Definitely popular in the game field and I can see why.

Ironically the video engine is faster and more reliable than PT
Old 10-18-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
The biggest pro sector it finds the majority of use in is audio for games.

Outside of that I’d say maybe music would be the next biggest.

Using it for post for film/TV would be a PITA considering it doesn’t support AAF export/import. Without a doubt, at some point, you’re going to need to transfer or import from a PT project. Without AAF support, it’s useless unless you use the excellent AATranslator. I did the edit/sound design/post (essentially everything) on a big podcast last year that had draft edits done in Reaper and without AATranslator, it wouldn’t have been possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AATranslator only runs on Windows which is another hurdle for wider adoption in the post world. macOS ain't perfect but I'm never going back to Windows.

I use Reaper for game audio projects regularly but I've not seen any studios here adopt it for post. A couple are on Nuendo.
Old 10-18-2023, 09:28 AM

Although we all have our preferred DAW and workflow, keep in mind that these are tools. As a professional, it doesn't hurt to be able use multiple tools. I'm not saying that we need to be proficient with all tools but keeping an open mind and a working knowledge of the types of tools available will help keep our option open. Some tools are better for some jobs while others are better for other jobs. Although one tool may be better for most jobs, there are times when the client, artist, producer, or other entities dictates which tools need to be used. If you have enough work using only Protools, great. Otherwise, it doesn't hurt to learn to use additional tools. I know some folks that use whatever is requested when facing clients, but actually mix with Protools behind the scenes and export/import back and forth as needed (assuming that works).

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 10-18-2023, 09:39 AM

AATranslator Works perfect with WINE on Intel Macs, I bet it works using Crossover on M1, etc.
Old 10-18-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
I know some folks that use whatever is requested when facing clients, but actually mix with Protools behind the scenes and export/import back and forth as needed (assuming that works).
Yep. I'm a much faster editor in Pro Tools. I'm editing VO and DX all the time in Pro Tools and also do tonnes of video game voice recording/editing. The game developers use Reaper almost exclusively and want delivery as a Reaper session. For me it's faster and easier to work in Pro Tools and then assemble a Reaper deliverables session as a last step.
Old 10-18-2023, 10:07 AM

I've used Reaper.
Try as I may, while I find areas of genius, no matter how I try, I just can't get the amount of work done in equal time as I can with Pro Tools. This is primarily with music. I don't do enough post to speak to those challenges.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-18-2023, 12:48 PM

Reaper can use AATranslator and Vordio (Mac/PC) for the AAFs, as well as a partially working import script, if they built in the support it would be a good start.

It also doesn't support any video i/o.
So no genlock possible.

I think the Reaper sub-project system would be great for post,
and can imagine using it alongside PT somehow, but it's all got quite a way to go yet.
Old 10-18-2023, 06:55 PM

Reaper is super common around these parts in audio-only post production as it has some really nifty ripple editing features. I’ve never even tried it for film sound, and don’t think I ever would unless it changes considerably. I find there is something very ‘brute-force’ about the way both automation and multichannel features work in it.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.