Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2010, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Okay--now I can talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
change...

for sure change

is it really for the better ergonomically for many to most of us?

hopefully more ergonomic than recent software releases....

while change is inevitable....it is not always good.

we seem to have so many more choices these days.

and i'm not feeling avid loyal ...i want to be but they have not convinced me that they really care about the customer any more
Well I don't mean change that you should sell your existing interfaces and buy these----frankly, I don't think that is exactly the ideal upgrade unless you are in the frame of mind that you either want the latest or you want the best. That doesn't change the fact that the 192I/O already is VERY good. So it really depends on who and why.....
Old 08-17-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
As to portable---it's a single rack-space right? You don't need an outboard pre, right? You don't need a monitor controller or headphone amp, right? Again---it's a single rack space with aLL of that. You also do NOT need a desktop or rackmount machine, you could have a laptop with a portable 2-slot Magma chassis.
I wasn't implying that the interface itself wasn't portable, more so the way it has to connect to your computer doesn't make the whole solution portable.

Again, maybe my idea of portable differs from others. But take into account that the majority of users running a PT HD setup are Mac users and the only laptop that has an Express Card slot is the 17" MBP, you don't really have that many options.

If I could grab my laptop and hook this thing up via FW, then yeah I would consider it an extremely portable setup. The rest (for me) doesn't make it portable at all.

Quote:
I'm not implying anything for the future---I'm saying, Avid has a long-term plan for ALL of the products within the Avid family. I will reveal nothing further upon that other than these new hardware boxes were a much-needed improvement to stay ahead of the competition. With the addition of something like the HD OMNI it opens up the door to others that otherwise wouldn't have done it---AND to others who already have a rig, it simplifies things.
Come on. Go out in a blaze of glory. Spill it.....
Old 08-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I wasn't implying that the interface itself wasn't portable, more so the way it has to connect to your computer doesn't make the whole solution portable.

Again, maybe my idea of portable differs from others. But take into account that the majority of users running a PT HD setup are Mac users and the only laptop that has an Express Card slot is the 17" MBP, you don't really have that many options.

If I could grab my laptop and hook this thing up via FW, then yeah I would consider it an extremely portable setup. The rest (for me) doesn't make it portable at all.

Come on. Go out in a blaze of glory. Spill it.....
But most pros using laptops ARE using the 17" model as it's the most powerful, and it offers the best/most screen space. So there's nothing changed there. As to spilling it...NOPE, I gave my word---and that's more important than anything.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:02 PM

Brad, both your initial post, and post #7 make a far more compelling case for these interfaces than I've read on any other site. Somebody should hire you to do copy - preferably from Tahiti, with a mojito in your hand.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Brad, both your initial post, and post #7 make a far more compelling case for these interfaces than I've read on any other site. Somebody should hire you to do copy - preferably from Tahiti, with a mojito in your hand.
Thanks Andy---I like to think I'm very good at what I do---because I'm HONEST and have PASSION even though my career has changed, those two things have not---and never will. But hey if someone in the tropics wants to hire me---I LOVE THE SNOW, but I'll manage without it
Old 08-17-2010, 07:23 PM

Hi Brad.

I have a home studio. Never more than two mics being recorded at a time.

With the new OMNI geared for someone like me what would be the bottom line to get into an HD system?

What would be the bare minimum list of components I would need?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip888 View Post
Hi Brad.

With the new OMNI geared for someone like me what would be the bottom line to get into an HD system?

Thanks
Rosetta 200 with HD card

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 08-17-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip888 View Post
Hi Brad.

Thanks
Well an HD1 Core, the HD Omni, your computer, hard-drives, and of course some plugins. Based on retail, probably about $15k give or take. I believe the retails are $7995 and $2995 on the the HD1 Core and HD Omni. FYI if you are looking, I have a new in box HD1 PCIE card Core for sale. But you an also talk to your preferred ProTools dealer, I'm no longer one.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:30 PM

Hey Brad,

I can't help smiling at these new announcements. Only for the fact that I predicted this news over a year ago. It is such an obvious move from Avid.

However, apart from the MADI interface there's really nothing that addresses the main issues that many users have been discussing. The DSP-technology behind the hood is in dire need of an overhaul. And while they are at it, AVID could look at the whole SYNC and TDM-routing system, too.

As a long-time Digi user, I'm happy as anyone to see my favorite DAW being updated but it looks to me like a "too little - too late" situation. The only way forward for Digi, marketing-wise is to lower the prices substantially on the HD product line and I don't see that happening in the new announcements.

If this weeks news was what landed you a slap on the wrist, I have to say that somebody's very touchy. I'm still waiting for the big news that will take my breath away. :)

PV
Old 08-17-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
your fired!!!
HAHAHAHAHA FUNNY. Jeff Radke is going to come after you one Day Benoni.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro