Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2016, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Are you Satisfied with the fast Avid Updates?

I miss Digidesign...
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Somehow, musicians are now technicians!
Old 05-15-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I already gave up my support plan, at this rate and considering that I haven't had to use the cloud so far, I wont have nothing to do with Avid by 2017.

Also, you can not tight something as free as the creative process to a yearly subscription.
+1
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinky View Post
I miss Digidesign...
+1
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:47 AM

My answer is not by a mile.

Hot fixes need to be happening way faster. I'm extremely dissatisfied with this new always up to date model. Avid can't handle the updates. They keep adding features but can't do it without breaking the software.

At this point my money is staying in my pocket next renewal. No way in heck im giving another dollar after this experience.

For less than this broken year of updates I could have bought Cubase pro 8.5. Next year if I don't see some change and effort on avids part I'm doing just that.

Sorry but they are just doing it all wrong in my opinion.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:02 AM

Everything changed after 2008
- 150 new features form HD7.4 to HD8.0 cost $150.00

HD 9/10/11/12 combined 90 new features
upgrade total cost $1500.00
Old 05-17-2016, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanonbass View Post
My answer is not by a mile.
At this point my money is staying in my pocket next renewal. No way in heck im giving another dollar after this experience.

Sorry but they are just doing it all wrong in my opinion.
This is how I feel too, what did I spend $600 on???? I mean, I actually don't know. This is $600?

I could of bought those plugins I wanted
I could of bought another output card
I could of went on holiday for crying out loud...

dam I feel so stupid
Old 05-17-2016, 07:16 AM

Yep. 599 for literally nothing.

I had a solid system in 11.3.2. I wanted to just run with it for awhile. But I wanted to be able to upgrade for a reasonable price. 1k is not reasonable.

So my basically forced upgrade left me with a 599.00 2 gig file sitting on my hard drive that's too buggy to use.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:23 AM

I believe my biggest mistake was getting too invested in avid hardware. When it comes time to get new stuff I won't make that same mistake. I will buy other converters and uad stuff.

It sucks because for a long time protools has been fairly problem free for me. Not sure why the wheels have fallen off. An HD system was a safe bet. I can't imagine paying for an hdx system and having this many issues. Being stuck on 12.

Lucky for me I have 11.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:04 AM

So far it's just a rip off. Commit and freeze have been very welcome additions, but 12 has been the worst version of ProTools I've ever used when it comes to stability. I remember when I could run for weeks at a time without a single crash. Now I'm good if I make it a few hours without crashing while adjusting clip gain, or trimming a region or editing midi, or just looking at it wrong:)

I really believe the underlying code is messed up. Most likely carried over from earlier versions. Every version I've used since 11, has had ridiculous 9173 errors. Granted some versions have had more or less, but they've happened to some extent in every version of 11 and 12 I've used. I would say the chances of them ever admitting that, or ever fixing it are very slim. Now we've reached the point were the bandaids are no longer working.

I personally do not have much faith in ProTools ever truly being solid again. I'm just not sure the current company is capable of doing it. I mean, look at the last few years....not very promising. I find it hard to believe that all the issues are other plugin manufacturers fault, when avid's own click plugin has problems. I've done 3 different clean installs over the last year, none solved the issues.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
So far it's just a rip off. Commit and freeze have been very welcome additions, but 12 has been the worst version of ProTools I've ever used when it comes to stability. I remember when I could run for weeks at a time without a single crash. Now I'm good if I make it a few hours without crashing while adjusting clip gain, or trimming a region or editing midi, or just looking at it wrong:)

I really believe the underlying code is messed up. Most likely carried over from earlier versions. Every version I've used since 11, has had ridiculous 9173 errors. Granted some versions have had more or less, but they've happened to some extent in every version of 11 and 12 I've used. I would say the chances of them ever admitting that, or ever fixing it are very slim. Now we've reached the point were the bandaids are no longer working.

I personally do not have much faith in ProTools ever truly being solid again. I'm just not sure the current company is capable of doing it. I mean, look at the last few years....not very promising. I find it hard to believe that all the issues are other plugin manufacturers fault, when avid's own click plugin has problems. I've done 3 different clean installs over the last year, none solved the issues.

Yep. Love the features for sure!

But stability is first always. I have tried 2 computers and 3 different operating systems. I removed plugins, optimized. Still crashes.

You cant fix broken code with anything but code fixes.

I sure hope avid fixes it. I have 6 months on my subscription. If it still sucks I'm going Cubase pro.

I will have to sell the hdx rig. Probably not worth much.

Last edited by stanonbass; 05-19-2016 at 06:58 PM.