Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2015, 09:47 AM

Default Re: What do you think Pt 12.4 will include?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
this is......what I was replying about.
Huh?

You said what I said while disagreeing with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
it's cool yes vanilla is getting lot's of love......and there are still people asking if they should update.....and it's only $99 USD for the love of pete!!!!

they got

Disk Cache
VCA's
Gain Reduction Meters

it's worth $99 for Disk Cache alone.
As far as vanilla. I can live without everything except 128 track limit. I do pop/r&b/dance/hip hop. One vocalist may send 40 vocal tracks with harmonies and such. Many times more than one vocalist on a song. I suppose I could premix the different harmonies to stereo stems...that's not a bad idea actually.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
...neither HD nor vanilla had commit or freeze in latest two updates. Those were not "unlocked"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
...Commit and batch fades have been the only two real new features...

Quote:
what?

the point is vanilla users have 4 updates for features that were never in vanilla before. who gives a darn where those features came from. All a vanilla user knows is they never had the features that were in 12.1-12.4 before and are new to them.

HD users have two updates 12.3-12.4

Well it does matter for the points I mentioned. 1). It's not actually "new" features. and 2). It's nothing HD users don't already have. Theoretically it is still the exact same software that already existed. They just unlocked some things.

Doesn't really matter that some vanilla users never had the features. Means nothing to a guy that owns both a vanilla and an HD license.

Point being, I don't feel HD users are getting as screwed as they think they are just because vanilla got a few "new" pre-existing features. The HD guys already had these features. So it's not like they are missing out on something that vanilla guys were getting.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 12-21-2015, 10:40 AM

Take the vanilla user, who never had HD. Which is what we are talking about. Don't change the premise.

That vanilla user has had 4 updates, in 9 months, with features that vanilla user never had before.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Huh?

You said what I said while disagreeing with me.
I must have misunderstood. anyway.

Yes it can be seen as updates, that vanilla never had....but there is/was little innovation..... (x64 was a lot of work im sure, but no major features were added)

till the 12.3 dropped and commit came.......
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Not really though. The 4 updates for Vanilla aren't new features. They are just long-time pre-existing features that were finally unlocked in native. Commit and batch fades have been the only two real new features. It's not like Native users are getting anything HD users don't have, besides the lower price.
I guess I should have elaborated - Track/Plugin chain presets have been in Venue Software for 10 years but there is just that crazy workaround to get it happening. Batch commands like in the slate software contain many great features Bounce and Commit really don;t count as bounce and auto import have ALWAYS been there. Avid canned the R&D department is 2008 and it shows Pro Tools 8 had more new features that 9/10/11/12 all combined and pt 7 to 8 cost $100!
throwing a dog a used bone does not count at all.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Pt 12.4

Again, there are not multiple versions of the code, only multiple release versions. Again, you don't understand software development.

Seriously, just quit. It's not worth it for either of us.

Quote:
I was asking you a question. But since you want to take it here, fine. Yes, I DO understand software development. I don't know code. But I DO know that any time you go in and touch ANY code, even for the most simple alteration, you run the risk of screwing something up or affecting something unintentionally; even a minor screw up. This is WHY all versions must be THOROUGHLY tested and retested after something is changed. In the case of the VCA issue, this obviously did not happen which is why the bug slipped through. You say someone obviously screwed something up. I say you are proving my exact point about touching code. You can't just simply turn something on/off and do half-assed testing.

And again, I firmly stand by my point that maintaining multiple versions of the same software is not as simple as self-proclaimed software veterans like yourself like to make it seem. You're leaving out all the other things I mentioned, such as updating the website to show all versions, updating the website to tell the differences between all versions, updating the manual to support all versions and again tell the differences. You have to program the software to be able to read an iLok license and be able to tell exactly which version to open. All of these things take TIME and a TEAM. And these are just a few items. Not to mention what else goes on on the business side of things with shareholders and whatnot. For you to sit here and try to make this look like such an easy feat as a 25-year software engineer has to be a huge slap in the face for actual software writers.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Pt 12.4

Rumor has it, not confirmed, that the entire codebase was moved to the Ukraine from the US a few years back, and then moved yet again to Poland recently. I can't confirm the rumors, but I can say that the types of defects that people are seeing in PT 12 most recent releases are completely consistent with the types of defects that would be created when a new team takes over an existing codebase.

Last edited by Avid; 12-21-2015 at 02:26 PM. Reason: False.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent W. View Post
Just curious as to when people think the next feature update will be, and what it could potentially include?
I already know what it will include - nothing I want.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:22 PM

According to an old friend of mine who used to work for Opcode, his friends who moved on to Avid are still in SillyCon Vallee working for Avid. As far as he knows those rumors are B.S.

Today most large software companies contract with developers located all over the world. My daughter writes DSP code for a supercomputer in Colorado from her office in Seattle. Before that she wrote it from her living room in Beserkeley CA. I can't imagine there aren't developers located in Ukraine, Poland, Germany, Malaysia, Brazil and all over the U.S. and Canada working on Avid software. Every time Avid mentions developers in a different part of the world, the "sky's falling" crowd start claiming Pro Tools development has moved there.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
According to an old friend of mine who used to work for Opcode, his friends who moved on to Avid are still in SillyCon Vallee working for Avid. As far as he knows those rumors are B.S.

Today most large software companies contract with developers located all over the world. My daughter writes DSP code for a supercomputer in Colorado from her office in Seattle. Before that she wrote it from her living room in Beserkeley CA. I can't imagine there aren't developers located in Ukraine, Poland, Germany, Malaysia, Brazil and all over the U.S. and Canada working on Avid software. Every time Avid mentions developers in a different part of the world, the "sky's falling" crowd start claiming Pro Tools development has moved there.
Truth usually gets ignored when it doesn't feed into the preferred internet narrative of the evil empire.