Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2013, 04:07 PM

Default quick question on mac mini

Hi!!! I just need advice concerning mac mini.....I want to buy a mac mini and I am a little concerned about the ATA 5400 drive for the system and apps, I have read many suggestions but so far, I am still lost a bit. Should I go for ATA HD or fusion drives, or SSD or even boot up my system with an external firewire dive?? I am also aware that it's possible to add extra drives in the box but I won't be doing this, I'd rather pay. I am quite sure the mini would be a great computer for music making. I am also aware that audio is running from an external fast drive, I am just a little concerned about running Kontakt and plugins and pro tools on that machine....any thoughts?? sugestions??

I am also very sorry if this question as been asked many times, I am new here on the forum and obviously didn't have time to read everything. apologies!!

Scuse my english which is wierd sometimes, I am french :P

gprok
Old 04-21-2013, 04:39 PM

Lightbulb Re: quick question on mac mini

You will want a 7200 RPM drive in the Mac Mini. Apple's Fusion Drive is a combination of both an SSD and a hard drive. I have read many reports of SSD performance being awesome.

Get an external hard drive for making a backup/clone of your Macintosh HD and boot from it when necessary. Don't use it as your everyday startup volume.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:50 PM

Default Re: quick question on mac mini

Ok thanks a lot chief technician, so if i got this right, i have to buy the mac mini with a 7200 rpm drive?? I am not sure they offer that option on the apple site, I think it's either, ata 5400, fusion drive or SSD...hummm confused a little!!!

gprok
Old 04-21-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprok View Post
i have to buy the mac mini with a 7200 rpm drive??
That is advisable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprok View Post
I am not sure they offer that option on the apple site, I think it's either, ata 5400, fusion drive or SSD...hummm confused a little!!!
When compared to a the performance of a 7200 RPM drive, a fusion drive should meet or exceed it, and an SSD will exceed it.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 PM

It's actually not an option anymore to order it with a 7200 rpm drive.

However, you could see about ordering one from OWC and installing it yourself, if you don't want to pay the higher price of the SSD or Fusion drive.

Here is a kit you can buy that includes a 1TB 7200 rpm drive, the tools to install it, and an external enclosure to install the existing drive in (you can use it for backup or something):

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/HGST/Y0J1TB7200/
Old 04-22-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
It's actually not an option anymore to order it with a 7200 rpm drive.

However, you could see about ordering one from OWC and installing it yourself, if you don't want to pay the higher price of the SSD or Fusion drive.

Here is a kit you can buy that includes a 1TB 7200 rpm drive, the tools to install it, and an external enclosure to install the existing drive in (you can use it for backup or something):

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/HGST/Y0J1TB7200/
Thanks a lot nst7!!!! Like i read, if the fusion drive is fast and reliable enough for running pro tools and kontakt iI won't bother installing a 7200 rpm, my concern was more about if the fusion drive is a bugger in the MINI I'll pick an Imac or a pro.....I don't feel to comfortable re configuring a brand new computer and void my warranty because it's been open!!!!

gprok