Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2004, 09:04 AM

Default Crashing While Importing Audio! ???

Since I've made the switch from Pro Tools 6.1 to Pro Tools 6.23 Everytime i click on the audio menu in the Bin and select import Audio system crashes ...I cant seem to find out reason why....was working fine b4 in Jagaur....but since the panther switch ive been having this problem consistently. It can occur with just one empty audio track available and nothing else in session. anyone have this problem... lemme know

running G4 dual 867(MDD) 512 ram panther 10.3.3 Pro Tools 6.2.3 HD1 and 96 i/o
4 internal ata/ide hard drives(only System Drive is Journald)
external SCSI on Digi SCSI 64 card
Digi Firewire drive

Digi???

Thanks
Old 04-13-2004, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Crashing While Importing Audio! ???

Hey,

I had the same problem on 6.3.2 LE. I solved it this way (quite tricky I admit) : my original AIFF files were batch converted to SDII by Peak. Then I converted them again to AIFF during import in Pro Tools LE. This time it worked like a charm.

Of course, this consumes time. So, Digi, can we expect a debugged update?

Does the fact that the original AIFF files were created on a PC then imported on the Macintosh explain this?

Best regards,

Amundsen
Old 04-13-2004, 03:01 PM

Well that is interesting, however i have the problem with .wav or aiff or in fact any format or creator.
Still hoping Digi you can respond with a solution. or is this a bug in software
Old 04-13-2004, 04:39 PM

Nice to know I'm not the only one as soon as I hit Shift/Command/I
session crashes Digi any response?

Thanks Harsound
Old 04-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Avid

Hi,

A couple of questions and suggestions, is your Pro Tools application in its default location? We have see instances where moving the application from Mac HDD / Applications / Digidesign / Pro Tools to the desktop or another folder can cause this to happen. I have also seen this caused by a corrupt Digidesign Database or screwy disk permissions. If you have not done this already I would trash the Digidesign Databases folders on the root of all mounted volumes and them run repair disk permissions. I see at least one of you is running 10.3.3 I have seen complaints about problems with external storage after applying the 10.3.3 update. If trashing the databases and repairing your permissions doesn’t help try unmounting all but your system drive and see if you have the same problem. Keep me posted I’ll check back in a little bit.

Thanks,
Digidesign Tech Support
Old 04-14-2004, 02:47 AM

I have the same problem.

I have tried do rebuild the Databases but the rebuild always crash at the same place.
I Think its when it comes to my folder for all my EXS samples that contains over 40.000 samples. Does the Database have any limits for samples/folders ?

One other strange thing is twhen I try to drag 2 monofiles (one sterofile L+R) from workspace to a track. The length of the leftf file differ from the right file. But if I first drag them to the audiobin and then to a stereotrack it works ?.
This files may not have the correct extension but is the right pair. example (cymbal.L cymbal-1.R)

/Eric

My system
G5 2x2 GHZ HD3 Accel PT 6.23 OSX 10.3.3
Old 04-14-2004, 07:36 AM

Yes The application is in its default location.also was having this problem b4 i installed 10.3.3. i will try trash all databases and prefs and repair permissions and let you now if that works as well. with me as soon as i click on the menu however my system crashes b4 i am able to even select audio from any drive to import
Old 04-14-2004, 08:13 AM

Thanks Digi.!!!! I trashed all Prefs in Users/Library Folder( DAE Prefs , Digi Setup , Pro Tools Prefs) I repaired Disk Permissions on System Drive(Disabled Jornaling) Verified all Mounted Disks. Trashed Digi Databases on all mounted Drives. Opened a new session selected extternal SCSI drive for location of session, Opened new stereo Track Imported audio from a another mounted drive(.wav file interleaved) Converted, Imported and draged it form Bin.....EVERYTHING WORKED PERFECTLY!!!!! Thank you for the Help!!!!! Hope that helps you Guys with my experience