Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 11:18 AM

Default suggestions for future PT updates

First off, if there's a more ideal forum, or email address, or phone number to submit this kind of thing, I'd love to be informed about it! But for now, I'll do it here...

I am a long-time user and admirer or PT. I recently started a new job at a studio that primarily uses a program I hadn't even heard of up to this point. Naturally, I was curious as to why they would choose this seemingly rare program over Pro Tools, especially since the bulk of their work is books on tape, or audiobooks. I soon found out the reason why. This other program has some features that I now really REALLY wish ProTools would incorporate into future versions. They're all simple enough in concept, too. So I wanted to list them here for consideration...

1- Subclips: Allowing you to have regions beneath regions. You can lay down a looped region of roomtone on a track, and then dump all your VO on top of that. THEN, whenever you trim regions and there's silence between them, this silence is replaced by the underlying roomtone region. This is MUCH MUCH easier than having to go in and do the Fill to Space command hundreds of times to fill all your gaps!

2- The ability to freely click and drag (slip) a region's audio forward or backward within the region's boundaries, without being constrained to current nudge setting increments and having to use your +- keys.

3- Visible waveforms when moving regions. When you move regions around in this other program, you can still see the waveforms of the moving regions, which prevents the need to nudge them into precise location after you've dragged them to their general location.

4- Though I'm really glad PT finally incorporates the scroll wheel to zoom in/out, it'd be really excellent if they could gear down the increments of it! As it is, you go from extreme 'waveform re-draw' view to '12 hour' view in a matter of 5 clicks!

Okay, that's the four main things.

And again, if anyone knows a better place to submit suggestions like this, please let me know!

Thanks,
E
Old 08-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Zynaptiq

Default Re: suggestions for future PT updates

Quote:
1- Subclips: Allowing you to have regions beneath regions. You can lay down a looped region of roomtone on a track, and then dump all your VO on top of that. THEN, whenever you trim regions and there's silence between them, this silence is replaced by the underlying roomtone region. This is MUCH MUCH easier than having to go in and do the Fill to Space command hundreds of times to fill all your gaps!

While i haven't done this myself, i remember from reading the manual that this is possible (but only in HD), by assigning the same voice to two (or more) tracks and setting a higher priority the VO track. See page 136 and following in the 7.3 reference guide.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:27 PM

Only in HD. That's the clincher. And even then, you can't create quick crossfades between the two.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Zynaptiq

obviously. i was just saying that you *can* do it, not that other software doesn't do it faster/easier...