Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2009, 02:22 PM

Default Core Audio won't stay connected!

I've NEVER been able to reliably use the outputs of my Digi 002 Rack for iTunes or other Mac sound output. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I'm running a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz with OSX 10.5.6 and I have a Digi 002R with PT 8.

I have the Digi CoreAudio Manager running and in Mac System Prefs I have the sound output set to Digidesign HW (002) and yet the sound still comes out my internal speakers.

Please help!
Old 04-07-2009, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Core Audio won't stay connected!

If PT is running core audio only support PT audio. Close PT and it will support sound on other app's.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:13 PM

I wish it were that simple.

The problem is once I open PT I lose connection with the sound of other apps and cannot re-establish the connection even after I close PT.

The option to choose Digidesign HW disappears from System Prefs and Core Audio won't re-launch without restarting the computer.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydsr View Post
I wish it were that simple.

The problem is once I open PT I lose connection with the sound of other apps and cannot re-establish the connection even after I close PT.

The option to choose Digidesign HW disappears from System Prefs and Core Audio won't re-launch without restarting the computer.
The Core Audio driver is single client only. You should quit all applications that are using Core Audio and then quit out of the Core Audio Manager before launching Pro Tools. After you're done using Pro Tools and have quit the program, launch the Core Audio Manager and make sure it shows 'Connected' before launching an application that you want to play out the 002 via Core Audio.

You may also want to try this:

Quit out of all open applications.

Trash the following preference files:

1. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.systempreferences.plist (delete this file)
2. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist (delete this file)
3. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.digidesign.CoreAudioManager.plist (delete this file)
4. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > ByHost > com.apple.systempreferences.xxxxxxxxxxxx.plist (delete this file)

Empty the trash, restart and let me know if it's working or not.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
The Core Audio driver is single client only. Y.
That's strange. I have a Mbox mini setup at home and I can play a Protools session, listen to itunes, and audition sound files with Audiofinder through the Mbox's output simultaneously.

I tried the same thing on a 002 but it didn't work.
Does core audio behave differently when used with an Mbox?
Old 04-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by anal-log View Post
That's strange. I have a Mbox mini setup at home and I can play a Protools session, listen to itunes, and audition sound files with Audiofinder through the Mbox's output simultaneously.

I tried the same thing on a 002 but it didn't work.
Does core audio behave differently when used with an Mbox?
Yes - the Mbox 2 series units allow for multi-client core audio.

The original Mbox, 002 and 003 series are single-client only.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
The Core Audio driver is single client only. You should quit all applications that are using Core Audio and then quit out of the Core Audio Manager before launching Pro Tools. After you're done using Pro Tools and have quit the program, launch the Core Audio Manager and make sure it shows 'Connected' before launching an application that you want to play out the 002 via Core Audio.

You may also want to try this:

Quit out of all open applications.

Trash the following preference files:

1. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.systempreferences.plist (delete this file)
2. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist (delete this file)
3. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.digidesign.CoreAudioManager.plist (delete this file)
4. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > ByHost > com.apple.systempreferences.xxxxxxxxxxxx.plist (delete this file)

Empty the trash, restart and let me know if it's working or not.
I did all of this and it works, but not reliably. Sometimes the the core audio says "connected" but it doesn't work as expected.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:19 AM

Angry Re: Core Audio won't stay connected!

Hello,

This problem has really became a p.i.t.a. It happens on all our machines using leopard (and snow) with digi 003 interfaces (rack and factory). It did not happen at first but is now systematic.

I did trash the recommended prefs,restart, but coreaudio still keeps sticking to internal audio.

If I change the sound pannel input and output to Digidesign HW (003) and close it, then open it again, it comes back to line input and line output.

If I change the default audio device (input and output) in the audio and midi configuration utility, to Digidesign HW (003) and close the configuration app, then open it again, it sticks to the wrong one (internal audio)

Only the pro applications which have a proper audio setup (Pro tools of course, but also peak, logic, max/msp, nuendo,) manage to set properly and communicate normally with the driver.
The problem happens with all the applications which don't have a proper audiosetup pannel (quicktime, audiofinder, hijack, firefox, spotify...)

Roland Cahen
Sound Design Studio
National Superior School of Industrial Creation
http://www.ensci.com
Paris France
Old 11-27-2009, 12:23 AM

I forgot to precise configs :

G4 mirror duaal 1Ghz
G5 dual 2Go
Macpro quadri

Mac os X. 5.8 and mac os X. 6
Ram >= 2Go

R.Cahen
Old 02-25-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahen View Post
Hello,

This problem has really became a p.i.t.a. It happens on all our machines using leopard (and snow) with digi 003 interfaces (rack and factory). It did not happen at first but is now systematic.

I did trash the recommended prefs,restart, but coreaudio still keeps sticking to internal audio.

If I change the sound pannel input and output to Digidesign HW (003) and close it, then open it again, it comes back to line input and line output.

If I change the default audio device (input and output) in the audio and midi configuration utility, to Digidesign HW (003) and close the configuration app, then open it again, it sticks to the wrong one (internal audio)

Only the pro applications which have a proper audio setup (Pro tools of course, but also peak, logic, max/msp, nuendo,) manage to set properly and communicate normally with the driver.
The problem happens with all the applications which don't have a proper audiosetup pannel (quicktime, audiofinder, hijack, firefox, spotify...)

Roland Cahen
Sound Design Studio
National Superior School of Industrial Creation
http://www.ensci.com
Paris France

I am having the exact same issue as described above. We even have a script run at every startup to change the ins and outs in the System Prefs on all our other lab systems, but this particular one doesn't want to stay defaulted.

Digi 002R, 8-core intel, 4gb 800 RAM, Mac OS 10.5.8, all updates, Firewire from rack directly into back of tower.