Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Best Ethnic drums plug for PTHD ?

Best Ethnic drums plug for PTHD ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm working on a project using PTHD 3 Accel 7.2 on a G5 to record a band with a lot of programmed as well as pad triggered percussion sounds. Currently the sounds are being generated in Roland units designed for performance work, and we're taking analog audio out into DI's into the 192.

The Roland units have midi out, and I feel that we could get cleaner and better sounds if I use them to trigger internal sounds via midi and avoid the cheezy A/D converters in the Roland. To do this, I need patches with lots of Indian and African and Latin percussion sounds, tabla and mridingam & dolak etc.

Can anyone recommend something? All I have now is Xpand, which sounds fine but has limited preset patches. I am enamoured with the organ and piano sounds we are getting with NI B4II and Synthogy Ivory, and hope that there is something for percussion in the same class.

Jonathan Starr
Big Gorilla Sound
Twixt reef & jungle
Wailuku, Maui
Old 09-20-2006, 06:15 AM

Default Re: Best Ethnic drums plug for PTHD ?

Check out Darbuka and Latigo from Wizoo/Digidesign.

The future development of these products is a bit up in the air since Digi bought Wizoo and put them to work on SoftSampleCell Pro , but they have a great variety of sounds.

Darbuka has all of the Eastern European type sounds and Latigo is the Latin cousin.

Selling prices are quite variable; you can pick them up fairly inexpensively if you shop around.

Ray
Old 09-20-2006, 08:31 AM

Try MotU's Ethno. I just used it extensively on a track recently and it was pretty painless, with a lot of great sounds. And it's a bargain at the price it sells for. Lots of loops (perc and melodic/harmonic) as well as instruments.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:11 AM

Yellow Tools "Culture" is pretty spectacular. Each percussion instrument has a large number of articulations and dynamic levels, so you can really assemble things that sound realistic. The recordings are precise, pristine and very detailed (although is easy enough to put them in bigger spaces or trash them out if you need to).

The term "ethnic" is pretty broad, so I don't know if you'll ever find everything you're looking for in one place. When you come right down to it, all drums and all music is ethnic.

Lee Blaske
Old 09-20-2006, 09:16 AM

dont buy Latigo or Darbuka until or unless Digidesign/M-Audio/Wizoo actually fixes these since they do not work reliably on Pro Tools. They run out of sync in inconsistant and random ways and have major interface display issues. Digidesign should fold these libraries into it's Strike product and provide cross grades for current users who shelled out $300 + for these products that have never been fixed.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:29 AM

Thanks for the tips.

Culture and Ethno both look interesting. I'll start looking around for a deal on one or both.

Much Mahalo.

Jonathan
Old 09-21-2006, 02:39 AM
FXpansion Audio

Suggest you watch FXpansion's AES announcements two weeks today. That's all I can say for now..