Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2015, 09:22 PM

Default Pro Tools 12. with Apogee Ensemble

I'm thinking of buying an ensemble used. I currently have a digideign 003r and the presonus digimax fs. Thinking of replacing the digi. Anyone else using this combo?
Old 11-10-2015, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12. with Apogee Ensemble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk T View Post
I'm thinking of buying an ensemble used. I currently have a digideign 003r and the presonus digimax fs. Thinking of replacing the digi. Anyone else using this combo?
If you are talking about the new Thunderbolt Ensemble this will be a fantastic interface indeed. If you however talking about the older Firewire Ensemble I would rather look
into more current interfaces for PT12.
Sure the Firewire Ensemble was not a bad interface back in the days but those older Firewire devices seem to have more an more problems with all the latest technology and
current applications.
There are more current units available out there which will offer the same/even better audio quality for less/the same amount of money.

As you already are using a Presonus micpre this newly released USB 3/8micpre interface called Studio 192 may be an interesting option.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Studio192

If your computer already offers a Thunderbolt port this new Focusrite 8 micpre unit would be a nice one too probably.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Clarett8Pre

If your are more on a budget and you are using a Mac the Focusrite Saffire 40 Pro is not very new but has been proven to be working exceptionally well with all the latest
versions of OS X and Pro Tools. This unit you can run via Firewire or via Thunderbolt, itīs approved by Focusrite for both.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SaffPro40
If you are looking for the same functions, features and an even better sound quality than the 003 for ridiculously less money this guy would be it.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SaffPro26

If you can afford a bit more the Apogee Quartet (only the original, silver one, not the Pro Tools branded unit) would be really high quality option. I had this one for about
3 years with PT11/12 and it was amazing! Never had any issue with Pro Tools, worked flawlessly. Highly recommended stuff.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Quartet
(even though "only" an USB interface it used to run on 64 samples with ease even with large PT11/12 sessions and offered amazing audio quality for this price range)

Finally in the same price range there are 2 new Motu models available which are said to be very high quality and very versatile too.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1248
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/8M
(both can be used via Thunderbolt or via high speed USB)

So, yeah, of course you can get the Firewire Ensemble and it probably will work now but it will be no future proof solution for sure. One of those more current units will offer
the same (even the more affordable ones) or still better audio quality (like the Apogee Quartet, the new Focusrite Clarett, the Presonus 192 etc.) and you will be able to use
it for a much longer time without any compatibility issues probably.

If however you are talking about the new Thunderbolt Ensemble, well, this is another story . Just get it! This is one cool monster indeed (not comparable to the Firewire one
in any way-although again it wasnīt that bad at itīs time...I liked it too).

Anyway. Whatever you decide to do, the very best!
Old 01-10-2016, 09:04 AM

The Focusrite you mention at the great price would be greater if it included the "Air" button on the front. I don't think it comes with the "Air" selection option.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormond View Post
The Focusrite you mention at the great price would be greater if it included the "Air" button on the front. I don't think it comes with the "Air" selection option.
The only Focusrite interfaces which will come with the "Air" feature will be the new Claretts. From the 2Pre to the 8Pre X they all got it.
No other Focusrite interface has it, only the Channel Strip ISA 430 MK2 and -maybe- the Liquid Channel. As for the Liquid Iīm not sure
though. Donīt know a lot about this guy.

So if you want the "Air" thing included in an interface you might get one of the new Claretts. As mentioned before even the small $500.-
Clarett 2pre has got it aboard already.

Cheers.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:58 AM

Hi,

I have just retooled my songwriting/project studio with a Macbook Pro/El Capitan, Pro Tools 12.5 and an Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt. I am embarrassed to confess the gear it has replaced but, Whoa, in listening to the first projects I have done, I realise that I am light years away from where I was.

The new Ensemble sounds pristine more I/O than I can cope with and is non-chalantly compatible with Pro Tools 12.5

El Capitan and PT 12.4 were a little clunky (perhaps user error with buffering) but the PT 12.5 is much better esp. with video/audio projects. I am considering purchasing HEAT and am not sure whether the Apogee Ensemble really needs it.

Overall, the Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt is the best performer of the new setup.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoRoss View Post
Macbook Pro/El Capitan, Pro Tools 12.5 and an Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt
Congratulations! A really nice set up, you wonīt regret buying the Ensemble TB for sure. Itīs an exceptional piece of audio gear.

Quote:
I am considering purchasing HEAT and am not sure whether the Apogee Ensemble really needs it
Iīm aware of that opinions vary on that but I personally love HEAT. I had been living without it for about 10 years before and you
can live without it obviously. Anyway since Iīve got it a few months ago I donīt wanna miss it anymore.

Iīm using it with an Apollo and PT12HD on a MBP 7Quad running El Capitan successfully without any issues. The Apollo is an incredible
audio interface indeed (I had a Quartet before which I loved too) and imo itīs a bit more analogue like sounding, got a bit more depth
and warmth than the Apogees (while the Apogeeīs sound may be a bit more precise and clear...which is only my personal impression of
course), nevertheless does HEAT a great job, does give something beautiful to the mix additionally.

So if you can afford it I personally would recommend to get it. I think it will be not wasted money even with the Ensemble TB. If it will be
too much money you of course can live without it though.

All the best, VRW
Old 04-17-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I am considering purchasing HEAT and am not sure whether the Apogee Ensemble really needs it.
First, HEAT requires both an HD asset and a HEAT asset. You can't run HEAT without Pro Tools HD.

Second, HEAT has nothing to do with converter quality. HEAT emulates analog non linearities, both even order and odd order. It impacts tone and dynamics the way tape or consoles might depending on how hard they're driven.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
First, HEAT requires both an HD asset and a HEAT asset. You can't run HEAT without Pro Tools HD.
+1
oops, sorry. Overlooked the fact he just wrote PT12.5 without any HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Second, HEAT has nothing to do with converter quality. HEAT emulates analog non linearities, both even order and odd order. It impacts tone and dynamics the way tape or consoles might depending on how hard they're driven.
+1
Of course this is right again. Imo HEAT adds a lot to the mix but of course it
has nothing to do with the converters of the interface aka the sound quality of the interface.

Let myself get kinda carried away about HEAT...
Old 04-18-2016, 02:37 AM

Quote:
If I am to understand you correctly, Pro Tools HD requires a AVID hardware interface + the addition of HEAT which I am assuming is a software package. Am I correct so far?
Old 04-18-2016, 02:55 AM

Quote:

If I am to understand you correctly, Pro Tools HD requires a AVID hardware interface + the addition of HEAT which I am assuming is a software package. Am I correct so far?
No, nowadays Pro Tools HD does not require any Avid hardware anymore. You can run Pro Tools 12HD with any audio interface which will work with your system.
I myself use Pro Tools 12HD with an Universal Audio Apollo interface like many others.

However you need to run PTHD software to be able to use HEAT.
Only if you have a PTHD license + a HEAT license on your iLok HEAT will be accessable within Pro Tools.
HEAT will not be unlocked in Pro Tools if you only have the standard version of Pro Tools software (non HD) even if you have got a valid HEAT license.
And of course HEAT will not be available in Pro Tools if you only have got Pro Tools HD software without an extra HEAT license.

To sum it up.
1) No Avid hardware needed to run Pro Tools 12HD software anymore, works with any audio interfaces.

2) To activate HEAT in the Pro Tools software you have to use Pro Tools HD software + have a valid HEAT license on your iLok (which you will have to buy separately, which will not
be included in the PTHD license).

So this is correct now.

All the best!