Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2013, 04:08 AM

Default Digidesign Cables + Apogee 16x = Don't fit?

Hey guys!

Just a quick, and slightly stupid question. I upgraded my 192's to apogee 16x conversion about 12 months ago, and one thing I immediately noticed is that the DB25 connectors on avid cables don't screw in securely to the 16x inputs and outputs.

Has anybody else noticed this? I have spent the last year with them just connected by friction and about a 1/4 turn on the thumb screws because that is as far as they go.

Does anyone have a solution? I suspect one is using metric thread and the other imperial? I don't suppose anyone knows which is which??
Old 02-28-2013, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Digidesign Cables + Apogee 16x = Don't fit?

The apogee db25s are notorious for stripping out, bending, etc. It may be that they are a different thread pitch than others, but I'd have no way of knowing - literally every one of them I've ever seen was either stripped out, broken off, or bent. This includes units that use the apogee snakes. If you can't get them to thread, make sure you support the cable in the rack so that it's not pulling on the connector. The connector pins/sockets will become intermittent if the weight of the cable pulls on the connector for any amount of time.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Digidesign Cables + Apogee 16x = Don't fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketCase View Post
I suspect one is using metric thread and the other imperial? I don't suppose anyone knows which is which??
I did buy a lot of prefab DB25s for my studio, each cable came with an additional set of thumb screws. At first I did not understand why this was the case, but then I noticed that on some of my machines the original thumb screws on the DB25's fitted fine, on other machines I needed to change the thumb screws with the additional set of thumb screws to get a correct fit. In the end I figured it out: the only difference was metric thread and imperial thread. But I had the luck my cables covered both possibilities. Maybe you need to find spare thumb screws of the other thread type then you have now to get a correct fit.

Mac Pro 2019 - 3.2GHz 16-core - 96GB RAM - macOS 14.4.1 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3.1 - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins