Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2010, 09:54 AM

Default 003 Rack Randomly Powers Off, Won't Turn Back On

Today my 003 Rack randomly clicked off and would not power back on.

Immediately trying to power it on again failed (it will go through one click of the 3 or 4 power on startup clicks then stop).

After a few minutes of being shut down, it will power up sucessfully, but after a few minutes, it shuts down again. All cables, including firewire (and excluding the power cable, of course), have been removed from the back of the unit, but the issue still exists. Has my unit failed?

I've searched around here and on the Digidesign site, but have yet to find any info related to this issue. Has anyone experienced this before?
Old 04-02-2010, 10:18 AM

Default Re: 003 Rack Randomly Powers Off, Won't Turn Back On

Sounds like a heat related failure of some component inside(most likely on the power supply). I would get on the phone to tech support and see if you have a warranty issue. Meanwhile, is it in a rack with other gear packed tight on top and bottom of it? Can you give it some air space above and below to help cool it? Do you have a small fan you could point at the back to see if that helps?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-03-2010, 07:47 PM

Default Re: 003 Rack Randomly Powers Off, Won't Turn Back On

Quick update... after about in hour, it powered on and stayed on for long enough to finish a session. It did shut down once in the middle of that session, though. As of today, its been working in short bursts, but it eventually clicks off. I did move some things around in my rack just in case it was an overheating issue, but given that the issue is still occurring, I fear its a hardware failure. Its been stable for the two years of use until yesterday.

Thanks!