Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2009, 10:33 AM

Default Mac Pro "Nehalem" with Magma

I cannot find if the Mac Pro "Nehalem" models are qualified with the Magma PCIe -> PCIX chassis PE6R4
Old 04-14-2009, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Mac Pro "Nehalem" with Magma

I spoke to Magma tech support about a week after the Nehalem's came out and they said they can't see any reason why they shouldn't work exactly the same. I would give them another call just for reassurance.

- JSR
Old 04-14-2009, 02:54 PM

I'm thinking about this same setup in the near future so let us know how it turns out if you go this route. I would rather have one of the previous generation Mac Pros but I can't seem to find any for sale anymore.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaphoron View Post
I'm thinking about this same setup in the near future so let us know how it turns out if you go this route. I would rather have one of the previous generation Mac Pros but I can't seem to find any for sale anymore.

You're going to be better off with one of the Nehalem's; the front side bus is a thing of the past, and has been the performance bottleneck of all past architectures until now.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:50 AM

As he's a ProTools user, his 'bottleneck' is likely to be RTAS performance

Seriously though, there's very little software out there that actually leverages the power of these multi-core cpus, 07,08 or 09.

Hopefully this will change with Snow Leopard, although as ProTools isn't a native Cocoa app yet, I'm not holding my breath...