Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 07:57 AM

Default sends and returns......help!

this is pretty embarrassing since i know everyone knows how to do this, but i watched all the pro tools videos and i haven't used sends and returns in 2 months cause i was taking a break. could someone briefly explain how to send an effect from an aux channel to other audio channels?
all help is appreciated
Old 08-21-2005, 08:18 AM

Default Re: sends and returns......help!

Quote:
this is pretty embarrassing since i know everyone knows how to do this, but i watched all the pro tools videos and i haven't used sends and returns in 2 months cause i was taking a break. could someone briefly explain how to send an effect from an aux channel to other audio channels?
all help is appreciated
It works the other way around: you send the other channels to the aux channel containing the effect. Here's the setup for a reverb as an example:

-Create an aux channel and instantiate your reverb plugin on it
-Set its input path to buss 1 (or whichever)
-Set its output path to your mix or monitor buss
-Select the tracks you want reverbed (or simply all the mix tracks) and hold shift/option while assigning send A to buss 1 on any of them, which will assign it to all of them
-Repeat for as many reverbs you want, using buss 2,3 etc.

Now you can dial up the send fader on any channel in your mix and you'll have the corresponding effect. This way, even with only one reverb, any or all tracks can have it. The same setup is ideal for delays, choruses etc.

Ted Spencer, NYC
www.tedspencerrecording
Old 08-21-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Re: sends and returns......help!

thats for the help!