Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2007, 10:18 PM

Default Opinion of T.C. Helicon Harmony 4

Anyone have an opinion on this plug-in? (Harmony4) I can't seem to get anything on it other than info direct from T.C. Helicon -- The demos on their website are not clear enough to tell (at least not on my computer) -- Anyone?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:15 AM

Default Re: Opinion of T.C. Helicon Harmony 4

I use it a lot, one of my favourites, actually. I use it with my PowerCoreII-card and normally I use 2 instances to create 6 harmony parts. When you try it out, do so together with MD3 and increase the headroom of the MD3. Like all harmonypart-creators, hardware or software, it is very dependent of the voicematerial you are using, prefearable a voice with little formants.

http://www.tc-helicon.com/Default.asp?Id=9145

The demosong of Henry Olongo gives you a fair opinion of what it´s capable of.

It takes a bit of tweaking to get it natural [like change the bass-voice to be as close to your original voice as possible and falsetto insted of female voice if you are a mail - just some pointers that I have found to be true for me...]

The funfactor is REALLY high on this one...
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 03-26-2007, 12:03 PM

Thanks for your response -- I'm surprised I haven't heard from more people -- Do you use so many harmony parts because this is exactly what you want to do OR do you need to do this to cover any artificaility? How does it sound when you use just one simple close harmony part? Would you say that the quality (once you've finished tweaking) is that good that no one would ever suspect that it was anything other than an additional human voice? I've listened to the demo on the web site but my computer speaker quality is not good enough to really tell for sure. (By the way, what is "MD3"?) Thanks again.
TG
Old 03-28-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Do you use so many harmony parts because this is exactly what you want to do OR do you need to do this to cover any artificaility?
Yes, I want to, it acctually sounds better, when you use fewer parts...
Quote:
Would you say that the quality (once you've finished tweaking) is that good that no one would ever suspect that it was anything other than an additional human voice?
Real session singers are better - but before you have transported them, fed them and made them sing in pitch from the scores you have written, it has either cost you a lot of money or you have called in a bunch of favours... ;-). These guys doesn´t have to go home to take there girlfriend to the movie, they just sing on nomatter how late it is (or early).
Quote:
By the way, what is "MD3
MD3 is an overpriced, but extremely good limiter/compressor from the System 6000 ported in a stereo version to PowerCore. Use it with Harmony4 and increas the Headroom and it just sounds much better then Waves... You can actually get a Singers Unlimited feeling in your acapella takes.
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix